1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Looks strong and confident on the tube. Unfortunately will end up with a no decision.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hermes and Batman like this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Sixty percent of all arrests are made on men wearing that exact outfit.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Big thing there for Baltimore was that they got seven innings out of a starter. Really, Rodriguez only threw two bad pitches.

That's what is so precarious about their position, though. They are getting starter length out of Burnes, Rodriguez last night, and then ... hope to get the starter through five. If you're going to entrust the sixth and seventh to the likes of Dillon Tate and Bryan Baker, the dam will begin showing cracks before long.

More and more, I believe the Orioles need to click on a front-line starter at the trade deadline, or they will struggle to reach 100 wins with this staff. You can't even be comfortable with a well-positioned rotation for one series, because whoever's the No. 3 starter is not dependable. Actually, regardless of last night, the No. 2 starter is not dependable.

6. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, the Brewers keep winning with a pitching staff consisted of a mediocre version of Freddy Peralta, Bill Wegman (actual 2024 age), the Barrelman mascot and myself.

Pat Murphy gets an A for managing the first half. Brewers are aggressive on-base and fun to watch. Also hitting way better than the last years of Counsell Ball.

(Can’t help but notice the Cubs have plunged into the 230s in BA after being in the 250s a year ago. Brewers have done the opposite. Enjoy North Siders!)

I know I’m a fanboy, but the Brewers deserve far more credit than they get for their organizational strength. They’ve been the best-run team in the NL Central for a long time now.

Not that it stops spoiled idiots within the Brewers fanbase for ripping owner Mark Attanasio for “being cheap”.

Jesus wept, he is the best owner a small market team could ask for.

His only sin was going along with Rob Dickhead’s MLB stadium extortion tour last year. Apart from that, I think Brewers fans who criticize Attanasio are too young or have forgotten what a joke the club was in the last decade-plus of Selig ownership.

Gutter and FileNotFound like this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Agree with everything you say here. They also have to come to grips with the fact that not all of these pieces in the minors will play their careers in Baltimore. If a Mayo or a Norby is the price of getting some key pitching help, and they end up being studs somewhere else, so be it. Last year completely accelerated the rebuild, and they should be in win-now mode, especially considering Burnes is 50-50 to sign long-term at very best. Might actually be 30-70 at best. There is no reason why they can't add depth and win a World Series this year. Use your pieces to make it happen.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pretty straight-forward. If you think incarceration is the correct path for drug dealers and drug addicts, you feel one way. If you feel they should otherwise pay for their crime, you feel the other way.

Eric Kay was an addict. He supplied another addict with drugs that proved to be fatal. From that story, he's not really disputing that. He's disputing points of law, attorney misconduct, etc.

Also, he rolled the dice and lost. He could have been out in 10 years, with time served at a less oppressive facility. He chose to fight.

His arguments would not make him a prime candidate for parole, IMO.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
    maumann likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

maumann likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Kay's connections. His dad was on the Rams and his brother is a top baseball coach in Orange County. Brett Kay is a Mater Dei and CS Fullerton grad who was hired to make JSerra a baseball power (with Scott Boras backing). Back then, the powerful high schools were paying college coach money. JSerra is in the Trinity League, which is probably the most powerful high school league in the country in most sports. It's the plan to use sports to boost the prominence of those schools -- JSerra, Mater Dei, Santa Margarita, Orange Lutheran, Servite, St. John Bosco.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I replay my whole situation over and over, and sometimes I think I should have forced the DA to have the two crazy old people on the witness stand for cross-examination. But as soon I as stepped foot across their doorstep, I was trespassing. All the rest of the BS that went on would be squarely on my shoulders, no matter how much lying they did to trump up the charges against me.

So I realize a guilty verdict would have been shattering. Once a convicted felon, always a convicted felon. The mere inconvenience this whole thing caused is a trifle compared to getting up to 10 down the road, if the judge wanted to somehow make an example of me. I still assume first offender would get me a break, but nothing like 60 days in jail/fine/4 years probation break.

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted