1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Tonight's debate isn't about Trump. He's at a disadvantage, in a sense. He's the known quantity; he's going to be who he is, supporters and detractors will go to their familiar corners, and a deeply unserious man (which Trump is) will be taken deadly seriously by a media looking for the slightest hint of democracy in peril. Trump. Known quantity. Not a wild card. He's lost the capacity to surprise.

Biden is the wild card. Because there's real question - even among the media - whether he's up to it. And if he's up to it tonite, he's the big winner. See, he's competent! He can fight to a draw and win a bunch of rounds on the judges' cards.

He's arguably the best debater in this thing's history. Won VP debate in 08 - handily - by being genial with a dingbat. Won VP debate in 2012 - handily - with smirking incredulity against a stupendous, inveterate liar. Won the first Prez debate in 20 - handily - by letting Trump overheat with even cheaper insults than usual. (Like the one where Trump thought making fun of Biden going to Delaware was a good idea.)

Biden could, IMO, effectively win the election tonight.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, I dunno who she is.

What's a reactionary feminist?

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is me. I've told my wife I'll be in the TV room downstairs watching something on Hulu or Pluto or a match from a 9-ball tournament from 1998. Co-worker was stunned when I said I ain't watching this ish. When they asked why I said, what are we really getting from it?

One guy is gonna' spew a bunch of lies and stupidity and the other one is going to stumble and occasionally stammer because he's old.

And then one team will say, "yay we won! and they lost!"

And the other team will say, "Yay we won! and they lost!"

Pointless exercise. All of it.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Like ... can you even imagine, "OK which bible is approved? King James? New American Standard? New Living Translation? New International Version? New Revised Standard Version?"

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There goes the Republic!

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Biden famously stumbled in one of the early primary debates in 2019. And the Trump camp has done a lot of Lou Holtz-style sandbagging. Anything above him needing a straitjacket will get weeks of positive publicity about “the new Trump.”

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The narrative has been written re: Trump: The Comeback Kid.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I hope Biden doesn’t piddle himself and don’t really want to watch.

My wife says she hopes that, fairly early in the debate, Trump clutches his chest and falls to the floor, then a heavily loaded stage light batten breaks lose from overhead, crushes him and bursts into flames. Then, a gust of divine wind sweeps in and blows the ashes away.

I’d watch that.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Is there a sports book with odds on whether either one of them collapses during the debate? If not, capitalism already has lost!

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted