1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 14.5) -- We Don't Need Another Euro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 13, 2024.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I mean, in this social media environment, that was almost inevitable. As terrible as it sounds, it's almost nice to see the US fan base care enough to make death threats.

"Apologies" aside, Tim Weah cost the USMNT that game and very likely their entire tournament and I'd like to see someone make a compelling case as to why he should ever play for the United States again. People will blame that on Berhalter because they always blame it on Berhalter but unless you have a defense much better than the one the US has, you're not gonna get a result off anyone in a major tournament playing with 10 men for 70 minutes.

On the other hand, Uruguay boatracing Bolivia tonight means they're going to win the group unless the US wins by four and Panama by five. Whether it's the team sheet or just the attitude, Uruguay might not give much of a shit on Monday night.

Even better, unlike the Euros, head to head is not a tiebreaker, which is to say if Panama throws up all over itself against Bolivia and drops points, they would advance on goal difference. (sadly the only mountains involved will be Space Mountain - they're in Orlando)

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Agree — it’s easy to dump on the coach, but not quite sure what he could have done differently. We played decently enough given that we were down a man and it’s not like Panama got that many chances.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024
  4. Inky_Wretch

It’s unfair, but we’ve all seen coaches fired after a kicker missed a FG or a QB threw an INT to lose a big game.

That said, he did send CCV out there when a road cone would have been more effective.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, there is Christian Pulisic. And usually there's a world-class goalkeeper.

The problem is the quantity. Always too many holes in the starting XI compared to a number of other countries.

And for whoever said that Panama has a small population, Uruguay has a smaller population ... yet such depth and quality in soccer that they can afford to bring The Cannibal in for late-game substitutions. Yikes.

6. Inky_Wretch

Which leads me to my favorite soccer rant ... the USA will never be a soccer power as long as expensive travel and club teams are how we develop players. Our players usually struggle with creativity on the ball because they rarely play pick-up games of futsal or street soccer. They've got a coach or parent watching over them and running them through drills - rather than letting them figure it out for themselves. Small nations don't have youth sports as a large-scale profit center that stifle their imagination as they're slotted to be a left fullback at age 10 and that's all they will ever be.

jr/shotglass and SixToe like this.
  7. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Embedded in the U.S. DNA is the desire to take something organic and build a bureaucratic structure that allows for people involved to make a profit. This is part of why U.S. Soccer needs to be burnt to the ground and its ashes disposed. It’s rotten from the top of the tree to its roots.

SixToe likes this.
  8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think one of the things everyone misses when it comes to the USMNT is that football development is perpetually a moving target. Everyone else gets a chance to get better too, and in the specific case of CONCACAF, MLS has created dozens of opportunities to players from nations we're seeing at Copa America to get better as free riders on America's development.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

“The defending champions have been sixes and sevens and now they’ve been punished.”

1) I love the Brits

2) sixes and sevens isn’t used enough across the pond

3) it was a brilliant goal by Switzerland

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Italy look toothless. Like the Black Hand told them to take a dive.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Ciao, Italia, you fucking assholes!

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I don't know how that Germany goal was waved off. Some kind of foul was called. Looked like a good football goal to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted