1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Bannon is headed to jail. He doesn't seem too alarmed.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Fresh. Fish. And that's prison, not jail.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Starman's favorite cut.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Massive coffee mug full of beverage, too?

I miss the barbers overseas, then the place I went to for many years in my hometown (even the years I worked in a neighboring state). The funny part is I went to them starting late in HS, then after I started working at the hometown paper - which made it really easy to discuss sports, which made it all the better given that we probably wouldn't have agreed on much politically. They really would have enjoyed this past March and April.

While I'm within driving distance, the problem is they're retired and now, unfortunately, gone. And my family doesn't like the fact that I've ignored hair length altogether ... and that male pattern baldness didn't get me. But since one partner decided to raise a ridiculous ruckus, I don't attend full family functions, not out of rebellion but - believe it or not - my not being there is the most peaceful and least disruptive solution (of course, why this person cares and is willing to make this much out of so little continues to be his problem, not mine).

I might cut it one day ... but if I do, it will be my decision, not any of theirs.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Of course.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...orkplace-safety-chevron/74134696007/?tbref=hp

WASHINGTON – It's long been a conservative dream: shrinking the federal government. And on Friday, part of the dream came true: the Supreme Court tossed a 40-year principle that boosted the power of government regulators on environmental, labor and other laws.
    Could the federal agency that sets workplace safety rules be the next target?
    The Supreme Court may decide this week whether it will hear a challenge to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
    The case, pushed by business and conservative groups, and by Republican attorneys general, argues Congress violated the Constitution more than 50 years ago when it gave a federal agency − OSHA − the power to regulate workplace safety and fine companies when they endanger their workers.

Kids want to crawl into factory machines to clean out the remains of the person made deaf by them who fall in. Do you know how much safety signs, hearing protection, and gloves cost? That's capital.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

One positive out of Covid was all the barbershops went to online reservations. Find your day and time, and show up. No more waiting. It’s glorious.

garrow likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Two things are crystallizing post-debate: 1) Biden is not going to pull out and 2) GOP will sweep in November.
    We all need to start planning for Republicans to have complete control of our politics and our media.
    Now is the time to start planning on where to best invest money to take advantage of the hellscape that is coming our way.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When Covid hit, I scrambled to find a pair of clippers when everything shut down. I had never cut my own hair. I posted about it on here at the time; there was a run on clippers; Amazon. Target, Walmart and the other online retailers were either out of them, or the prices shot up to the moon. I was monitoring eBay, and a seller put 675 clippers up for sale at only a small markup from pre-Covid, and sold out really quickly. I snagged the third from last pair.

I have been cutting my own hair since. It was surprisingly easier than I ever thought. The first cut I did, I was scared, but my hair is thinning with age anyhow, so I was already going short. I just fade it up a little on the sides and the back and I leave a little bit more in the front. I repeat every two weeks. I have it down now to where I can do it in my sleep. It's four years later, and I am still using the same set of clippers. I tell everyone I am going to be able to retire on what I have saved on haircuts.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This site is the greatest! Where else can a discussion of personal grooming alternate with lamentations on the fate of the Republic?

10. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I need to find a hipster shop. This "beer during a haircut" thing sounds glorious. I've been stuck at Great Clips since post-Covid and it's anywhere between 10-20 minutes of outright anxiety every time, worried I'm going to come out of there needing a hat for the next six weeks.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

This is where we are: laws passed by Republican administrations are being challenged by Republicans

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 7:44 AM
    Driftwood likes this.
  12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I started cutting my dad's hair during COVID. 1. He wanted it done the same way his barber had done for 80 years. 2. I'm not a barber.
    The first time or two he started giving me grief, and I told him to shut up or I would let Mrs. Driftwood give him the same haircut she gives me. He piped down.
    I actually got pretty good at it for him before he passed away.

Draft saved Draft deleted