1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fixed for you. Change the URL from x.com to twitter.com

Flip Wilson, matt_garth and JC like this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, it isn't. The second one is taking a frame after her teammate fumbled a good pass away. Either you intentionally chose a misleading still or someone else did and you copied their work.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I tried to get a still as close as I could to when the ball first touched the hand of the intended target by stopping the video when it did.

Nothing more, nothing less. And nothing remotely close to wasting my time trying to "intentionally mislead" anyone.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The risk of those aggressive passes - a turnover - is often outweighed by the reward, a layup. You’re going into a game presuming the outcome of a certain number of possessions is not scoring points. If you can score off early offense, you go for it.

She’s probably a little too aggressive with her passes, but not terribly so.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There is a reason that team had the number one pick and could select Clark.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

She’s part of the culture/race war now.

The argument is largely in the hands of political hacks who wouldn’t know a basketball from a pickleball.

My Facebook “feed” has been full of WNBA “reels” as of late. If you already thought Americans have completely lost their goddamn minds, you should check the “comments” out on anything remotely having to do with Clark.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Her coach should tell her to pump the brakes on those full-court passes. It’s partly on Clark to recognize that what she’s doing isn’t working, whether it’s her “fault” or not.

I tell my grade-schoolers all the time — it’s not a great pass if your teammate doesn’t catch it.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's not because they haven't had all kinds of chances to beef up the roster.

Before Clark arrived, they had eight first-round picks the previous three years: the Nos. 1 and 7 picks in 2023, Nos. 2, 4, 6 and 10 in 2022, Nos. 4 and 11 in 2021, No. 3 in 2020, No. 3 in 2019 and No. 2 in 2018.

This is 1980s Clippers drafting. Or something.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think your coaching is good and correct for their level.

In WNBA and college basketball, I wouldn't necessarily agree with it.

Women's basketball tends - not always, but tends - to involve aggressive entry passes and, when possible, more aggressive up court passes with turnovers as an acceptable, understandable consequence. Late shot clock, go-into-your-bag playmaking is more prevalent in the men's game than women's. Scoring takes more risk in the WNBA. And more low post play, too.

But, yes, Clark can play too fast at times. At Iowa, this worked, for she has endless stamina, and her opponents (like Van Lith in the NCAA Tournament) would empty the tank too early and Clark could dominate late. Her speed had a purpose; turnovers early, dominance late in 2nd Qs and 4th Qs. In the WNBA, the athletes are the best of the best, and opponent blitzing has the effect of wearing Clark down.

She has to learn to better vary her speeds, for sure.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Explain again why Clark can't play 3x3 in the Olympics?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

She would have had to play in enough FIBA-approved 3x3 tournaments which would have then made her eligible to be selected.

Draft saved Draft deleted