1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They sure as hell could have rejected Humphrey in 1968 had RFK, you know, lived. At least it wasn't viewed as "nobody else dare try!"

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ok

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's no telling if Humphrey wouldn't have won if RFK lived, but in any event, the political circumstances of 1968 and 2024 couldn't be more different. There's no Vietnam War. The question facing the Democratic Party is "how do we beat Trump?" Sending a message that they are repudiating the last three and a half years isn't a good answer.

2muchcoffeeman and SFIND like this.
  4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This asshole was in Trump’s administration.

Tippi Turtle was a kinda of funny SNL sketch/cartoon in the 80s.

This isn’t so funny in real life.

x.com

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sure some folks could reach and paint it as a rejection of their four years in the White House, but most people do realize that the vice president isn't running the show. It's a rejection of her as a candidate, understanding that she might be good at the job if she got it, but there are candidates with a better chance to win.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do you really think that many people think Harris is running the show side-by-side with Biden?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How the voters feel about Harris as a candidate was made abundantly clear to the point she dropped out before the calendar even flipped to 2020.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Somebody took a poll of Democrats about who should be the nominee if Biden drops out. Harris got 43 percent. Second place Newsome got 16.

franticscribe and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I realize Harris had to stay around the Senate for tiebreaking reasons most of this term, but I really don’t feel like Biden put her out there the same way Obama put him out there during his presidency … although she does seem more visible of late. But considering Biden’s age and the real possibility since Day 1 of the VP needing to step in, and considering the thought (early on, anyway) of Biden being a one-and-done president, I think the administration has done her a disservice.

BTExpress said the voters made it clear how they felt about Harris as a candidate in 2019. Sure, but that was almost as true of Biden when he ran in earlier elections. He became trusted “Uncle Joe” under Obama, which I believe really helped him win and defeat Trump in 2020. Putting Harris out there, putting a little faith in her with the American people, would have been wise if Biden were to have a stroke, die, decide not to run or … yes, even drop out between now and the convention.

Something tells me the Dems don’t think she can win. I don’t know if she can or not. I actually kind of like her. But her presence as not only VP but the first woman to hold the position, puts the party in a pickle. Even if Biden stays in for the long haul, I’d put her out there as much as possible to restore some faith in the ticket. Because even if he is reelected, it seems there’s a very good chance he doesn’t finish that term, whether it’s resignation or death.

Slacker likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Yeah, but Biden was just too old."

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

There are genuinely concerned democrats. I certainly understand. There are also a lot of people banging the step-down drum who might not have best interests of winning in mind.

But to the genuinely concerned, they know if Biden gets across the finish line and does step away in a couple of years that there would still be a democrat in the White House, right? Right? And it wouldn’t be a convicted felon, who happens to be the most morally and mentally unfit person in the country.

I know people don’t vote for VP. That might not be entirely true this time.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But don't get California's ≥ 55 electoral votes, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted