1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Irony is the people they lose are the some of the ones who will suffer most under a fascist regime.
    Any marginalized group who doesn't turn out in droves to vote blue no matter who honestly deserves whatever the future holds.
    I'm personally not going to be affected by the results of any presidential election. I'm an educated, middle age, white guy who is doing pretty well. It doesn't hurt that by all outward appearances I could blend into any MAGA crowd.
    I just don't want the republic I love and fought to defend to turn into a dystopian shitshow that buddies up to the very adversary I faced. I was and am still willing to fight for those marginalized groups because if I don't, who will. I also don't want my beloved outdoors turned into a hell scape because people care more about a dollar than a deer.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Neither Biden or Harris ran particularly effective primary campaigns in 2020. South Carolina was Biden's first primary win EVER after running a few times Since the '80s. Harris never connected with black voters to the degree she needed to. I think people's ability to digest information is undervalued as much as the Dems are "freaking out" about Biden, I have to think the GOP is also freaking out about having someone not Biden or Harris running against Trump. It changes the dynamic completely.
    We saw how the Dems coalesced around Biden in '20 with very little intraparty strife. I think they could do it again, given the stakes. Shoot, even Newsom's "negatives" are Trumpish, affair with a co-workers' wife, marriage to Guilfoyle. Etc.

maumann and SFIND like this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This issue is one in which every opinion, mine included, is just part of a large circle jerk. There is only one opinion that matters here, and that's Joe Biden's. If he thinks he can't win, he'll step down. A lifetime of party loyalty says so. But he's also a stubborn cuss, so it'll be data, not arguments from here in the peanut gallery or from anonymous pols, that can convince him that's the case.
    And if he did, he'd end his statement by endorsing Harris and asking his delegates (telling them really) to vote for her. It might end by him making her President right there.

SFIND likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Joe stepping down in favor of Kamala to the Oval would fry the R's circuits for sure. OTOH, it would make Mike Johnson VP and the deciding vote in the Senate.

The R's finding another Speaker of the House would be amusing, though.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

6. Driftwood

Johnson wouldn't automatically become VP. The line of succession doesn't work that way.

maumann, SFIND and franticscribe like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Shows what I know. I thought it was P > VP > Speaker of the House.

8. Driftwood

It is, but it's not like there is automatic promotion beyond the VP. If you did that, the Senate Pro Tem would become Speaker, Sec of State would become a Senator, etc. etc.
    Harris would get to pick a VP to be voted on by the Senate.

dixiehack, SFIND and Neutral Corner like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Republicans aren't winning California. Especially with CFTFG on the ticket.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But it's one of the things they've done best since the midterms.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

VP is vacant until President nominates a successor who's then approved or not by Senate and House.

maumann and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The new VP would be nominated by the new President and confirmed in both the House and Senate, as Nelson Rockefeller was in 1974 and Gerald Ford himself was just a year before.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted