1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running SCOTUS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Reset the shot clock to another 24 months.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Lying on taxes - clearly unofficial.

Hoarding documents like an unorganized sixth-grader’s backpack - unclear.

Forcing Georgia to make up votes - leaning to unofficial.

January 6th - leaning to official (sigh).

The NY ruling is still in play.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is more of a win than a loss, because I’m pretty sure the truly fucked up shit he did was unofficial.

Webster likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Supremes made certain there will be no trial until after the election. If Trump wins, almost every Federal charge goes away. It's a very Presidential protective decision. It may even get him off the hook in Georgia.

I would hope that this goes alongside Roe as motivation to get out and vote.

I fully expect that Trump takes many victory laps, ignoring any doubt or nuance, as he did after the Mueller investigation or his impeachments.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What doubt or nuance should he have not ignored after those events? He won them and here we are as a result.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

There was never going to be a trial before the election on the federal matters.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

There could have been. They could have taken up the case when Jack Smith brought it forward and asked them to. They returned it to the lower court, then when it got back to the Supreme Court, they sat on their decision until the very last day and sent it *back* to the lower court. They made absolutely certain that it was not going to be possible.

Tell me again how the Supreme Court is apolitical.

8. Neutral Corner

Mueller did not declare him innocent. William Barr did, two months before the report was actually releassed.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Supreme Court just pulls crap out of its shincter, and people cheer or boo depending on whether it conforms with their personal social goals.

On this, I just don't understand (and there is nothing in the Constitution that says yay or nay) how no one is above the law. ... well, except. ... It flies in the face of our basic values.

The thing about this decision that bothers me is that if this remains Joe Biden vs. Donald Trump, Trump is going to win easily. ... And he will take this ruling to mean that he can do any fucking thing he wants with impunity. Which means that 2025 to 2029 is going to be a chaotic shitshow.

America reaps what it sows.

The decision itself doesn't bother me as in, "The Supreme Court is siding with Trump" because it shouldn't be the role of the Supreme Court to impress upon a nation of idiots that Donald Trump is a bullshit artist and a con man and nobody who isn't a moron would ever vote for. The question of Donald Trump takes care of itself if people don't vote for the biggest clown on earth. But nation of idiots that we are, a system of binary choices givs us an insanely horrible choice in which the country loses either way.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This also allows the non-Trump Republicans to get him out.

You want real tin foil hat?

He gets elected and then bombshell shit is leaked, unofficial shit he did. It goes to trial. He gets removed and the GOP still keeps the White House.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How do you rule "official acts" get immunity without defining "official acts?"

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"Official acts" = anything a Republican President does.
    "Unofficial acts" = anything a Democratic President does.

Draft saved Draft deleted