1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 14.5) -- We Don't Need Another Euro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 13, 2024.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If you can give me one recent example of that not counting I’ll eat my words. Honestly I hadn’t heard that rule before so, again, I’d eat my words. But I also think you’d have a really hard time proving definitively he didn’t make a small kicking motion

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The quality of VAR between the Euros and Copa is like a PS5 vs. an Atari 2600.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

3-1 Panama.

4. Spartan Squad

Aye que lastina. Jajaja

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The rule says that there must be a deliberate play by the defender. A reaction save by a keeper is by definition not a deliberate play.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

There was a Euro match on Saturday, drawing a blank which one it was, where they called offside and disallowed a goal because a player was like a shoelace ahead, and this one has two offside, one pretty clearly, and good goal.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They were offside when the header was taken.

I'm watching without sound, what was the explanation?

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

The consensus seems to be it was a bad call.

JC likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Berhalter is watching the final five minutes of his tenure.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm assuming the standard for overturning a call on the field is similar to the one employed in other sports and criminal law: that replay must prove that the original call was obviously wrong. And in spite of the whining from the talking heads, I thought there was a plausible claim that the guy with the original shot was on.

11. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

I don’t trust the board of U.S. Soccer to get replacing Berhalter right.

Maybe Biden can get them all thrown in jail on corruption charges so a new board with new blood can step into the room. After all, he has immunity to do anything he wants.

12. Spartan Squad

The first guy heading the ball on net wasn’t offside and the player didn’t affect it until after the keeper touched it. I’m not sure the rule there. Can you be made onside if the keeper touches it first?

Draft saved Draft deleted