1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 14.5) -- We Don't Need Another Euro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 13, 2024.

1. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Ref sucking and Uruguay goal is window dressing.

USMNT is toothless, and worse, clueless in the final third. We never looked like scoring in a million years despite the possession we had. Chronic mental diarrhea in the 18-yard box. No marks like Weston McKinnie trying to generate attack. Christ.

Yeah, it's time for Berhalter to go, but it's not like he's holding back any diamonds in the rough.

poindexter and PCLoadLetter like this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Well, those dancing on Mexico’s grave yesterday sure got a weird dose of Moctezuma’s revenge.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nah, not really. My joy at Mexico failing far exceeds my disappointment at the U.S. failing. I assume going in the U.S. will gag it away.

Big Circus and Roscablo like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Go get Klopp. ASAP.

5. Spartan Squad

You weren’t even who I was referring to. There’s a more egregious example

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you’re talking about me, I knew USMNT wasn’t going through after that Panama match. So I wanted to drag Mexico down with us.

7. Spartan Squad

So many guilty minds tonight. And no. But I’m in the same boat. Tri was meh then their captain got hurt and then people are going to host places to see them lose, so I went to my happy place and saw a rival do worse and getting hosed on a call made it even better. The rending of garments for a team that couldn’t beat Panama and needed a win over Uruguay was a chef’s kiss.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have no idea what game you were watching

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

May he be better than the last German in charge of USMNT ...

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Klopp said no to Germany. Why would he want any part of USA Soccer?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Biden’s debate > USA Soccer

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Listened to Men In Blazers this morning on my walk and Rog brought up a really good point ... the U.S. has won exactly one high profile international game against a traditionally excellent opponent (friendlies don't count) in the last 40+ years: 2002 in the Round of 16 against Mexico. Sure, beating Algeria at the death to get into the knockout in 2010 was nice, but it was fucking Algeria. Beating Ghana, Iran, etc., again nice, but not the same. 1-1 "wins" against England, meh. The U.S. remains a decidedly unserious soccer nation.

Also loved him and Steve Nash comparing the Euros to Copa. Said the Euros were like a wine and cheese party where Copa is liking stepping out to grab a smoke at the dive bar and being dragged into a brutal fight behind the dumpster. I only made it through the first half last night, but cripes, that was a goddamn bar brawl.

Webster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted