1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 14.5) -- We Don't Need Another Euro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 13, 2024.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It’s a far lower pressure job and you can be a hero in America. Plus he probably would get paid more. Klopp, Pep and Mou all have name recognition in the US and great personalities to sell the Cup in the US. I think that Pep is still a few years away from giving up club football, but Klopp could see this as a nice bridge for a couple of years while he decompresses and decides what he wants to do. I’m sure he says no, but you have to at least make the call.

I think Mou would be ideal — he is basically done as an elite club manager, plays a style which is conducive to a tournament and would be absolute catnip for the press.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

He also said he's taking a year off, but sure. Viel gluck.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Make him say no. But whoever they get, the USMNT needs to make a hire ASAP.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The win over Portugal in the WC was pretty awesome. Portugal was ranked #5 in the world, IIRC.

That was a phenomenal night on all accounts. To the moon!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024
  5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Spain in the 2009 Confederations Cup? Not big enough of a tournament?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nick Saban as a real-life Ted Lasso. Who says no?

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'd only be in favor of Mou if he came in and basically told the board to fuck off at every opportunity. How long have these chucklefucks been in charge and allowed to produce mediocrity? Let someone be in charge who knows what he (or she) is doing.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Hell, anytime we show fight against a World Cup mainstay, it feels like a good game. We played well enough to get a result, not enough to overcome the Panama loss. Still disappointing but we didn’t get “grouped” because of last nights game.

poindexter likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep, same 2002 Cup. That was probably my favorite WC of my lifetime. Was living in AZ, had a lot of fun middle of the night starts. Should have won that South Korea match too.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Still think about the Germany match. What could have been.

Cosmo likes this.
  11. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

I want to watch whatever match you were watching.

12. Key

Key Well-Known Member

You guys are bonkers if you’re thinking we’ve got something better up our sleeve…Berhalter or Klopp or whoever. We showed some toughness particularly in the first half and one of our best offensive players went out at 40 minutes.

We gave up a goal that should’ve been disallowed and we played well enough to deserve the tie.

No rose-colored glasses here. Not sure what you are expecting.

I expect us to get out of a group that houses Bolivia and Panama, while battling a team like Uruguay for top of the group. I thought we battled well yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted