1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running SCOTUS thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Twelve year terms. No getting fired for unpopular decisions. That would also largely take care of the age factor.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And what happens when he tells them to pound sand? Who will enforce the decision?

TigerVols likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

*33. Hoover was still president in 32 and GOP had the senate

Azrael likes this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

It is not just that the six right-wing justices are right-wing, many of them are corrupt, all were placed by there by a president who lost the popular vote at least once (and half of them by a wanker who lost it TWICE) they dispense with precedent when it suits their twisted ideological agenda, on base their opinions on weird hypotheticals and fake cases.

They are the group analogue to Trump. It is not just that he pursues right-wing "policies" but he's violent, crazy, racist, criminal, misogynistic.

It is all too damn much!

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Asked and answered upthread, my friend. I'm quoting another poster.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But that's exactly their plan, that his been in motion since Newt...the GOP looked at the future and knew the demographics doomed them, so they've spent the past 20+ years putting into action their plan to remove people of color from the equation in order to protect their power. They've known for years they needed to break the country to save it; they also knew it would be fairly easy to do and they'd make billions along the way.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And I’m being pedantic

Azrael likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tarheel316 likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trump's lawyers have appealed the evidence in his NY trial in front of Judge Merchan. Seems that some of the evidence, the tweets and emails, came from his time in office, and they want that evidence thrown out. The judge will at minimum have to take time to think through the implications of the Supreme Court ruling and decide how to apply it. Trump's sentencing will be delayed as a result.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what they saw in 1994, but the U.S. 65-and-over percentage of population will peak in 2029, birthrates (the youngs!) are at a historical low, and illegals can't vote.

And the Nos. 2 and 3 EV states are red and gaining population, while Nos. 1 and 4 are blue and losing population.

Doesn't sound like all that great a demographic tsunami for Democrats.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024
  11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's not so much the timing but the location. A key piece of the prosecution's case revolved around a meeting at the White House between Trump and Cohen in the Oval Office. The argument Trump's lawyers intend to make - I say intend because they haven't actually filed it yet - is that a part of yesterday's immunity ruling prohibits the prosecution from building any part of its case on official acts, even if the ultimate act is one that is not an official act. The argument should be unsuccessful as the hush money payments were clearly not official acts and Cohen came to the White House to discuss personal/Trump Org business with Trump. The mere location of the Oval Office shouldn't transform that conversation into an official act, but Judge Merchan should take a little time to weigh the effect of the new SCOTUS decision and issue an order clearly articulating why it doesn't change this conviction. And the result is: Trump gets more time before being held accountable.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No need to wait for anything my friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted