1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And lead the division!

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Miami just DFAed Tim Anderson. WTF? The guy is 31 years old and was an all-star not that long ago.

Tonight's anthem performed by a 7-year-old Emma on the violin. She's really good.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Just watched him during a four gamer against the Phillies this past weekend. Whatever he had is gone, long gone.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So, the White Sox will claim him?

I Should Coco and dixiehack like this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

The skill set always suggested some sort of unsustainability--he hit .300 in four straight seasons from 2019-2022 while striking out five times as often as he walked--but I don't think anyone saw him losing it this fast. His OPS+ is 30! That's 21 percent lower than any other player with at least 200 plate appearances.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No one likes him, right?

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That's only because the complete corpse of Javier Baez only has 196 plate appearances with an OPS+ of 29.

So he'd still be better than any of the shortstops the Tigers have used, although I'm certain they think Ryan Kreidler can hit better than .129. According to BB-Ref, Detroit's SS WAR is an amazingly brutal -2.5, while Miami is only -2.0.

Ray Oyler is somewhere, laughing his ass off.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Talk about a Sports Illustrated curse. I assume this came out in March 2020, to boot?

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Kimbrel has hit as many Mariners in the ninth inning (two) as the M’s have hits in the game.

Julio overdue with a chance to do something with two outs.

EDIT: Instead, he gets Seattle’s 11th strikeout and the M’s lose 2-0. They waste another strong start with their putrid offense.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tough for me to stay up for West Coast games on work nights, so I didn't see it. Will try to watch tonight since I'm off for the holiday tomorrow. Kimbrel is so perplexing. His numbers on the surface look great ... 20 saves, 2.30 ERA, 0.96 WHIP 46-14 K-BB. But pretty much every Oriole fan is petrified when he comes into the game, waiting for the worst.

For better or worse, he is by far Baltimore's best closing option. Cano has regressed, which shouldn't be too surprising considering he pitched well above his head last season. The only other guy who could reasonably fill that closing spot (who is on the current roster) is Keegan Akin, and we have no idea how he'd perform in the ninth, even if his underlying numbers are pretty good.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
    jr/shotglass and tapintoamerica like this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Rays trade Aaron Civale to Brewers for SS prospect. Guess that means Shane Baz is ready.

Draft saved Draft deleted