1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I will not stand by and listen to this slander of Hooters wings.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sure, now.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Never was a fan of Hooters wings. Too much breading. Bdubs all the way. I think the last time I was actually in a Hooters they were still serving the Kulwicki Dog.
    I went to a Tilted Kilt in Las Vegas once. That was a pleasurable dining experience.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I can't believe - in 2024 - a restaurant whose business model is built on objectifying women is struggling.

tea and ease likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As a public service, since the NYT in a recent article continues to display a complete lack of understanding of supply chain: This is not a repeat of the Covid crisis -- other than shipping rates are up. Yes, capacity is tight -- but that's why rates are up. Transit times are up because of ocean lines avoiding the Red Sea; however, we are not seeing backups in the U.S.

Also, vessel alliances such as ONE do not quote rates. The ocean carriers belonging to them do.

Thank you for your time.

maumann likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I've only been to a Hooters a couple of time. Food was about what I expected. Girls were not. I didn't see any that required a second look. This includes the time we went to the Hooters hotel in Vegas, next to the then-Tropicana. It was just after it opened. I expected to see knockouts everywhere. None. Most of the girls were wearing warmups -- tops and bottoms -- not the orange shorts and tank tops. None were well built and none of them were gorgeous. The drinks were served in flimsy plastic cups, like the throwaways they put in the bathrooms. The place was a dump from the moment it opened.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Now do JoAnn's Fabrics. :)

swingline likes this.
  8. Driftwood

I was reminded of this thread and something last night. The topic being eating out, prices, etc.
    I was in Nashville in March and went to a chicken place. It was a touristy place, so I knew the prices would be a little higher. The smallest and cheapest thing on the menu was 4 tenders, no fries or anything for $14.50. I got a slice of bread and four pickles. OK, whatever. It came, and their "4 tenders" were 2 rather large whole breasts cut in two. I can't eat that much, and nobody else should either in one sitting. I ate two, and had to toss the other two.* Wasted money and wasted food. A chicken died in vain.
    Offer 2 "tenders" for $7-8, and it would be fine.

*If I had been at home or going straight back to the hotel and could have eaten them as leftovers it wouldn't have been so bad, but that wasn't an option.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Portions are so large at a lot of places Mrs. Micro and I almost always split something. No way can I eat an entire club sandwich, etc. So lunch or dinner is actually pretty affordable.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/financial-freedom-survey/#unlikely-or-impossible-to-make-the-money

I'll add one thing to that survey. ... which is sobering. Consider that 90 percent of people born in 1940 grew up to earn more than their parents. Today that number is 50 percent for those born in 1984.

Unfortunately, people look at these facts and come up with all the wrong conclusions about how we have gone wrong -- it's greed! -- so they continue to advocate for the same misguided "policies" (fiscally and monetarily to create the debt to fund the fiscal chasm) that are the cause of the decline.

11. Driftwood

You mean misguided policies where CEOs make 200X what the average employee gets paid?

Dog8Cats likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Someone's privately negotiated salary itself isn't a "policy." But what you're complaining about might be a consequence of actual policy.

What I actually meant? Things like trillions of dollars of debt monetization to enable runaway government spending that has left most people in the country getting poorer in real terms as prices rose on the back of a money supply being blown through the roof, while their wages didn't keep up. ... all because a central bank spent decades flooding the banking system with "cheap money" that only really benefited people who already had money.

So ... for example, that actual policy making it so cheap for public companies that could access the debt markets in the way that you probably can't, to borrow large amounts of money (while fiscal policy made it so that they could all but count on being bailed out if they blew themselves up by doing it because we socialize the risks as a matter of "policy"), so that even absent capital investment opportunities that they could use to try to grow their companies, it has been a no brainer for them to load up their balance sheets with debt and use the money to buy back stock to artificially drive up the price of the stock, which in turn has made the owners of those companies richer and richer (while most people in the country got poorer in real terms).

Because guess what people do when the companies they own make them richer and richer? They reward the management teams they hired (i.e. the CEO) who engineered their growing bank accounts with really generous compensation.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted