1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Teachers teach and do the world good
    Kings just rule and most are never understood
    If you were to rule or govern a certain industry
    All inside this room right now would be in misery
    No one would get along nor sing a song
    Cause everyone'd be singing for the king, am I wrong?!

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Because nobody is buying newspapers. You can be the most productive wall licker. If nobody is paying you to lick a wall, your labor is worthless (I apologize, I am putting it into the harshest terms to force the point). Increased productivity leads to higher wages when that productivity is feeding demand for something. Which gets back to what I keep saying. ... as a worker, you are as good as the income you generate. In the aggregate, increases in productivity generate more and more income. That doesn't mean that a product for which the demand dried up remains viable because workers in that industry are more productive. You need buyers for something to generate income from it.

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The pagination examples come from the mid-late 1990s. THE sweet spot for newspaper revenue. Tribune Company was printing money.

There should be enough former workers on here for a survey. Did your salaries shoot up when you started paginating pages, and thus doing what used to be two people's jobs?

franticscribe likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Well, let’s see… no.
    You were expected to cover stories, be a photographer, videographer, social media influencer, paginator, and web designer all while taking a pay cut.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But if there’s a big enough disruption and enough jobs are made obsolete, couldn’t that cause an entire generation to be worse off than their parents?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hell no. And the billionaire owner started implementing cuts when his profit margin began slipping below 20%.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

And occasional customer assistance.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Newpspaper circulation was falling throughout the 1990s. According to Pew, in 1990, there were 62.328 million weekly subscribers to newspapers. By2000, it was 55.773 million.

If the Tribune company was printing money, it wasn't because it was selling more and more newspapers.

This has been the newspaper industry over the last couple of decades. The 1990s for that industry were characterized by the cuts you are attributing to a healthy business. ... being a sign that it wasn't a healthy business and its death was coming. They were desperately trying to stem the tide, as subscriptions dropped. On top of it, they were leveraging up to try to hold off facing the reality that their businesses were slowly dying, and while financial engineering can create facade for a while, it doesn't permanently hold off reality.

[​IMG]

Once again, you're having a conversation about pagination making people more productive, when the reality was that sales were dropping off across the industry. I don't care how productive your workforce is, if fewer people are buying your product, those workers' value is limited by the droppoff in demand. It doesn't matter that they can do more work in an hour. There isn't demand for that work.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Copy editor. I forgot copy editor.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And people will just grudgingly accept falling further and further behind and understand that their ruin is the price to be paid for the economy and system of government to continue without a violent revolt.

Right up until the day they don’t.

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Driftwood, I even delivered a damn newspaper one time after work.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

This is capsizing faster than Biden's internal team can keep up with.

Draft saved Draft deleted