1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

What makes for a productive reporter though? By the numbers, somebody cranking out 4 to 5 articles a day is super productive but we all know, well, not really. If those "articles" are rewritten press releases, nobody is going to pay much for them.

What a newspaper wants to do is find its sweet spot where you have better reporters spending more time writing articles that people want to read. You bump up staff numbers to get better coverage but don't go overboard.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"Do more with less."

3. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I never delivered, but I did go pick up newsroom staff in snow storms because I had a 4x4. That is until I asked if they were going to fix my truck if something happened. “Well, no. Don’t you have insurance?” “I’m no longer your shuttle.”

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We don’t need to rehash all the bad newspaper management decisions of the past 30 years, but using “story counts” as the main way to gauge reporter productivity was among the worst.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ryan of Ohio would be an excellent candidate. He ran a good campaign against Vance but didn't have a chance in that state. Can be the attack dog on Trump.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I was thinking JB Pritzker, the Illinois governor who has done a lot to clean up the balance sheet in his state. Ryan would be a good choice though. A bit more moderate than many progressives would like but has that blue collar populist-lite streak you want in a political brawl.

garrow and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

You know one way to figure out who the nominee should be? A primary election.

HanSenSE and BTExpress like this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Some of them are.

But those Twitter accounts make money by sitting on every word Trump says. It's their reason for existing. Thankfully, other news outlets have more to cover.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Very early in my journalism career (and in the early aughts) I interviewed at a shop that a had a two-story-a-day quota for reporters. I was needing to relocate that geographic area for personal reasons. Thankfully, I got an offer from the daily the next county over and they had the more reasonable small daily expectation of one a day, with some relief while working on Sunday A1s or other projects.

I remember thinking at the time that the two-a-day quota was awful and I was glad to be able to turn that job down. I think about that often when I see the same bylines popping up multiple times a day on really thin stories for what were once decent quality newspapers.

I Should Coco likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What also can't be ignored is by all accounts he was losing before the debate anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted