1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 14.5) -- We Don't Need Another Euro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 13, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Only an occasional poster here (mostly like to learn and contribute when I can), but it sounds like a lot is still invested in the soccer academies, then? Good luck getting the lower-income players into those. I see baseball heading the same way, but I also see MLB taking some steps to encourage more minority participation.

And, of course, scholarships!

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have 3 friends who have kids who are Division 1 talents in soccer (of the 5 total kids, 1 is in college and one is starting in the fall). It is hard to imagine that they would be able to have those opportunities without the massive annual financial spend which they have to pay. Based upon what they have said to me, the training which they get is top notch and not results focused (especially the 2 in an MLS youth setup) but it is non-stop participation fees, hotel rooms, travel and parental time commitment.

3. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

You're right. I didn't include Canada because of their comparatively smaller population to the others mentioned.

Plus, until Canada gets rid of that charlatan Jesse Marsch, they're dead to me. :)

Huggy likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I missed soccer today.

Webster and MileHigh like this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Webster likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I mean, what's the problem?

offisde.jpg

JC and micropolitan guy like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I mean, yes. It’s as plausible as any explanation, but yeah they needed some high quality CYA for the tens of fans upset.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Reading this, the phrase that kept going through my mind was "until the oil price tanks again".
    All Saudi top-tier football clubs to go private: ministry

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Watching the World Cup winners flop around is an embarrassment.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Top-tier? Good God could you imagine sweating your life away in the second division of Saudi soccer?

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted