1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

All while laying off the people who actually produce whatever it is that has made them richer.
    There is nothing... NOTH. ING. a management team contributes that warrants tens of millions of dollars a year while the people who actually do the job struggle.
    You load 16 tons, and what do you get?
    We know you have posters of Rockefeller and Gould on your bedroom wall. That's fine.
    Personally, I like the commercial fishing boat model.
    After the catch it tallied and sold, expenses (fuel, bait, tackle, food) are paid off the top. Next, the owner of the boat gets half of the net because capital! That's actually fair. From the other half, the captain gets two shares, and each deck hand gets one. The boat brings in a slammer, everyone is compensated accordingly. The trip is a bust, no one gets rich while folks down the line suffer.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No matter how many stocks I own in however many companies, I've never been asked to vote on compensation packages for the mega-rich.

It's all just a not-so-secret circle jerk game played by an exclusive few in a board room. We'll vote to make you richer today, you make sure we get richer tomorrow.

And don't give me this "rewarding a CEO who made the company richer" nonsense. I've seen too many multi-million dollar compensation packages approved for CEOs whose companies lost millions and/or were in bankruptcy. Headline after headline in 2009 and 2010: "Bankruptcy judge Kevin Carey approves more than $40 million in Tribune Company bonuses." "Bankruptcy judge grants Tribune Co. permission to keep secret the details of $56 million in bonuses earmarked for top executives." You're in fucking bankruptcy! How is this allowed?

https://www.poynter.org/business-wo...company-ceo-pay-game-heads-i-win-tails-i-win/

https://www.poynter.org/locally/202...n-2019-even-as-industry-declines-accelerated/

https://www.cjr.org/business_of_news/mcclatchy-upgrades-ceo-forman-housing-stipend-35k-month-buyouts.php#:~:text=His newest contract with the,, office, and security expenses.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

How many execs who drove a company to huge losses get eased out with a huge golden parachute? No one even blinks at that nonsense anymore. An employee who makes stupid mistakes and costs the company a bunch of money, a pinprick on the budget scale, he gets shitcanned immediately.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Or even for less than that.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wonder if any of the franchisees suddenly found some gas and matches once they found out about the eviction.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vague childhood memory here, but when my parents got their first microwave circa 1981, they believed that they would be able to cook anything in there. So they tried to roast a turkey. It didn’t end well.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I know better (its the 4th) but I went to the local BBQ house to grab a pound special to go. I was about 13th in the carryout line and the booths were packed. Folks are earning their money today.

Inky_Wretch, Driftwood and maumann like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How much of the Allen Summer Camp in Sun Valley is written off by those who participate? All the transportation to? The lodging? How much of Allen's house has he been able to write off? Curious if someone who knows better than me can explain the importance of the confab.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Are you offering a solution other than hoping our Orban will wipe the slate clean?

tea and ease likes this.
  10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Then you never worked for one of my previous publication employers. Sent us mail proxy.

Since they weren't exactly offering overtime, I wasn't exactly interested in how the rich were getting richer while I was getting killed in my annual eval for my pittance of a raise because management was told not to give us decent feedback.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The only time I got a mail proxy vote was to accept or decline Sam Zell's $34/share offer to buy my Tribune Company shares.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't know where else to put this, but I find this situation fascinating. The wedding itself no-doubt is more of a business merger, but all the celebrities hired to perform (and I'm sure they got PAID!) I do wonder how many of the attendees were "comped" airfare and lodgings, or who genuinely has a connection to the family - or maybe its never a bad idea to kowtow to one of the world's richest and most influential men. Almost seems to be the perfect setting for a Bond movie.

https://apnews.com/article/india-ambani-merchant-wedding-mumbai-9fe22be18241d5c228c7ad98f94079e3

Draft saved Draft deleted