1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They're not my voters because I'm...not a Republican...but, yes, there are some GOP voters who want old scores settled. If I were talking about them, I'd talk about them, but they're voting for Trump either way.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Donald Trump must be defeated. The future and well-being of our nation depends on it. The majority of voters don't think I can do that. Unlike Trump, I will respect their beliefs. Accordingly, I shall not seek, nor will I accept, the nomination of my party for another term as your president. Vice President Harris will have my complete support in her bid for this office and God-willing, she will be seated here at this desk at noon on January 20th. Thank you and God bless the United States."

gingerbread likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The message I'm getting from the Democrat ads I've seen so far is "Vote because democracy is at stake." Great. That's what you told people four years ago and here we are again. The populace is exhausted from having to choose between insane old man and inept old man.

Attack ads will do nothing. The 49 percent of the population (outside of California and New York) who voted for Trump in 2020 will vote early and often for him again in November. You won't change their minds about why they love Trump and hate Biden, so you know you're looking at having to get another record turnout to overwhelm the MAGA. Republicans only want power and revenge, and they don't give a damn about how vile Trump is, as long as he can carry the swing states.

Biden's missteps are concerning because just when the Dems need a great turnout, people are tuning out. I have no hard statistics but there's a feeling of malaise from people who just are tired of being on edge for the past eight years and don't believe Anybody But Trump is a winning strategy this fall.

Don't just tell people democracy is at stake. Show them exactly what rights they're about to lose because of Project 2025 and these Supreme Court decisions. Make the ads hard-hitting and personal. And above all, a sense of urgency this time. Obama asking for $5 to combat those mean millionaires does absolutely nothing. And trying to convince people that Biden's economic policies are swell won't sway anybody getting gouged at the grocery store.

Local Democratic election officials need to be out in the streets now, hammering home how critical it is not to let your guard down and get to the polls on Election Day, no matter what.

Trump and his toadies want to take control of your abortion rights, your environment, make every federal department partisan and steal your liberty. Most of all, your right to vote in a fair and unbiased election. They want to end the American Experiment. That's the message Democrats need to laser focus on.

Damn it, if you don't raise the alarm in the next five months -- no matter which Joe, Kamala or Harry you decide to run -- the house's about to burn down.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It says not-so-good things about your bullshit NYT-lite theoretical, @Alma.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If Republicans can sentence 12-year-old rape and incest victims to nine months of pregnancy, a supposed billionaire can be sentenced for crimes that he willingly committed.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

All of this. Also, focus on downballot races, particularly local election commissioners. Way too many cult members running unopposed in way too many districts.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Alma’s version of morality says the 12-year-old deserves it for being a slutty temptress, but a sexual predator like Donald Trump should get away scot free. But that’s OK because Alma understands morality and politics and everything else better than you do. Just ask him.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ah, but the question of whether he did it will always remain. :cool:

He's a multiply-accused rapist with 34 criminal convictions and one of those accusations involves a 13-year-old girl.

Should he be president? I think not!

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Any song by the Police is alright by me.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We're just gonna have to hope my previously-mentioned 5% abortion vote tax unrecorded by the pollsters carries the day.

Hopefully the coronation of King Donald I adds a point or two.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Republicans and preachers love Don’t Stand So Close to Me.

misterbc and Twirling Time like this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Some Evangelist preachers hate that song title.

Draft saved Draft deleted