1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For a Cat 1 that isn’t going stationary? Not hardly.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

It'll be just a disorganized band of thunderstorms by the time it reaches I-10.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2024
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Never thought I needed hurricane insurance in Arkansas.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Occasionally a storm will keep tropical force winds well inland. Had to get a new roof a few years ago from such a storm and I live 300 miles from the coast. (Did upgrade to 25-year architectural, though!)

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I-10 runs through Houston. I lived in Houston when it was hit by Hurricane Alicia, and I can assure you that it was rather more than a band of thunderstorms.

maumann likes this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Sitting outside in Houston as I type this. Warm, humid, calm and cloudy — feels like a storm is coming. My flight leaves tonight so I’ll miss the windy part.

7. maumann

Well, Alicia was a Cat 3 August storm that was small but extremely powerful and took dead aim on Galveston and Houston. That was a very dangerous hurricane -- 962 millibars and 115 mph sustained winds at the eye. Nasty.

Beryl was unraveling before it got to the Yucatan. It still had an eyewall near Jamaica but was rapidly losing intensity and cohesion. The latest forecast has it possibly regaining some rotation before it strikes the coast and right now it's at 992 millibars. It's going to go from 85 mph to 40 mph as soon as it hits the coast and come apart rather quickly.

Alicia was like getting hit in the face by George Foreman. Beryl is going to be like getting hit in the face by a sandwich from a George Foreman grill.

Batman likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

LOL. Journalists do have a way with words.

Yeah, Alicia was nasty. It didn't help that we lived in an apartment that faced west and had a glass fronted wall with a sliding glass front door. And a three week old baby.

And no power.

maumann likes this.
  9. maumann

Beryl held together and made a hard right turn up the Texas coast, so Houston is getting a harder slap in the face than what most hurricane watchers expected. As my sister in law said last night, Houston's basically a bayou, so it's prone to flooding. Seven to 10 inches of rain, if that's what they get, won't drain in any particular hurry.

10. Neutral Corner

Yeah. Houston was basically built on a swamp. I don't want to imagine what it was like living there in say the early 1900's. Maybe an attic fan and some rotating fans. Open windows. Sitting on the shady part of the porch praying for the wind to blow.

The place is so heavily air conditioned for good reasons.

maumann likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Gas prices are going to jump.

12. maumann

We're really good at putting major cities in places where Mother Nature just shakes her head.

Washington, D.C., also swampland. South Florida? Dug out of the Everglades. Below sea level New Orleans stays dry because of levees. Every major town on the Mississippi River is on a flood plain. A third of San Francisco is reclaimed landfill, just begging for another major earthquake. Los Angeles, Phoenix and Las Vegas? Wait until the water runs out.

And I think Sherman burned Atlanta because he was tired of sitting in traffic.

Draft saved Draft deleted