1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The people who were going to vote for him no matter what voted for him in 2020. And he lost big. He lost Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona and Pennsylvania after winning them in 2016. Then he lost Georgia.

It isn't the people who will vote for him. It’s the people who MIGHT vote for him or the people who MIGHT not vote all together. You need to convince them. Forget about his base. That isn’t the fight and never was. It’s everyone else.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The real problem is that we don’t have the balls to tell trump his time is done.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Harris-Coons? ummmmm.

maumann likes this.
  4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I've seen NC Governor Roy Cooper's name floated a few times as a possible VP. I'm not sure if he makes sense. I'm not sold on the idea that it needs to be an experienced old white man. But as a North Carolinian, I like him a lot and wonder if he could deliver the state. I kinda doubt it, but our statewide races tend to have razor thin margins and he's won a bunch of 'em.

gingerbread likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There’s the difference between us: I don’t think damn-near anyone is undecided at this point. Certainly not enough to sway the election.

And, even if there were, a newspaper editorial wouldn’t even make the top 20 vehicles I’d use to try to sway them.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I think there’s enough who could be swayed, especially if they think Biden is too old and they are gullible enough to believe they are voting for single issues and not the whole thing. Then there’s those who sit out ala 2016.

And if editorials aren’t the vehicle, why are they being used to question Biden’s competence? And every story questions Biden’s competency? Why is every outlet not questioning why the GOP is allowing a criminal to run? Why are they not asking Trump surrogates when he’s dropping out since he’s a felon? Why are they not asking why someone who is a threat to democracy as we know it is allowed to run? Instead we get “is he too old?” and straight calls to drop out. This country is backward.

I want Trump behind bars before we worry about an old man.

The kettle is boiling, the food is burning and the paint is peeling. We should be trying to put out the kitchen fire not whether we should replace the burnt toast.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I can’t see DINO Joe working terribly hard to get a Black woman elected POTUS. Don’t sense much fire in that belly.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The issue is not about being swayed between candidates; it’s whether Democrats will choose to vote or quit on the country.

dixiehack and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It would be a good idea for The Atlantic to do a similar piece on Trump. In fact, I look at it enough to think that it already has (and I will be looking, in a bit).

For some reason, though, nothing with or about Trump seems to stick with people. I'm not sure why, other than, perhaps, people are so used to him being as he is that nothing is surprising, upsetting, or even off-putting. The total ignorance of Trump supporters is just inexplicable. If you asked them what they think some people's problems are with Trump, they seriously would have no idea. That is the real problem here.

Perhaps people know, deep down, that Biden is a decent man and has been a good, normal President -- and that he has certainly been a principled one who has used strength and his power to accomplish whatever he has. So, maybe seeing him apparently in less-than-that form, as they did last week, set off alarm bells.

Now, Spartan Squad is right. But what can we do to set off alarm bells regarding Trump, if that hasn't happened even with everything that already has gone on with him?

I think the idea about the editorials and editorial boards still stands, because the point of it is to try to get the alarm-bell words out about Trump. Such information and analysis -- simple analysis! -- also needs to happen on every election-related television or radio broadcast segment, and blasted all over those media outlets' web sites and any social media/discussion pages. Other media need to become Democratic-related mouthpieces for Biden and/or the party, just the Fox News is for Trump and the Republican party,

I hate to say it, but "fair and balanced" needs to go by wayside. Yes, people apparently need THAT much hand-holding and direction and clarification. Unfortunately.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Cooper is 67.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Still thinking it’s going to be Biden. If not, I don’t know who will be the VP for Harris.

I do know Joe Manchin is an absolutely terrible fucking idea. He fought the Dem agenda all the way. Fuck that guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted