1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except now he'll win the popular vote and the EVs 329-209.

A year ago I wasn't sure the GOP would win a popular vote again in my lifetime, and I'm planning on hanging around another three decades.

That take sure isn't aging well.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He will not win either.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

He may win. He won’t win the popular vote.

Other than pundits and scared elected democrats leaking quotes, there’s not much evidence the race as fundamentally changed. That, of course, can still change negatively for Biden in the coming days and weeks.

Regardless of Biden, trump is still deeply unpopular and fucking hated by half the country. He hasn’t won new voters.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Seems like things are just getting worse all the time for the Washington Post.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I understand the sentiment. I don’t understand the math. Who is not voting for Biden in 2024 after voting for him in 2020? Why do we not expect basically the same electoral map?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

This is where I’m currently landing for the most part. Obviously it doesn’t take a lot to push it the other way in a handful of states. And that’s the difference between winning and losing.

I’ve seen no evidence of Biden support completely tanking.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Harris/Kelly

*Arizona Senator Mark Kelly -- he's a middle age white dude who's also retired Navy, a retired astronaut, son of two police officers, is moderate by most any definition of the word, is respected by both parties in the swing state and his wife Gabby Giffords should have her face on currency for her work on gun control.

HanSenSE, OscarMadison, Alma and 9 others like this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Think of all those polls showing Trump making gains among blacks, Hispanics and the youth vote. I doubt the raw vote totals in those demographics will increase that much for him, if at all. But the percentages are trending up because so many would-be Democratic voters are just worn out and see nothing changing if they vote or not.

They probably remember Covid, but they’ve moved on to the next thing, which is holy shit would you look at the price of a Wal Mart run? As far as 2017-19? Their memories are more of an impressionist painting than a high-resolution photo by now. They remember in vague terms Donald Trump always being in the news for something, but mostly they remember their money being straight. And right now they want their money straight more than anything.

Now there are of course reasons why prices went out of whack worldwide and the US has actually handled it better than most places. And there are plenty of reasons to believe Trump coasted on the economic momentum from the Obama years and is grossly unqualified to navigate the rockier seas ahead. But all that requires explaining. And in politics, if you’re explaining you’re losing.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Even if he is the veep and never has to run again, I'm not certain I trust Manchin with the tiebreaking vote in the Senate.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

I’m a fan of Kelly. Really what I want in a Senator.

Not sure how it all works in Arizona, how the seat would be filled. Keeping the Senate is still possible for the Dems. Perhaps not likely but possible.

Potentially losing Kelly’s seat would be a big blow.

gingerbread and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's one helluva good article. I hope U.S. citizens are as smart as the French were.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted