1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Do the reporters at the Washington Post have to take a cognitive test? Maybe they should.

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

You make a lot of good points. And I could be absolutely wrong but I just don’t think the drop off in those demos will be super steep when it gets down to choosing.

Them staying home is a huge danger. A very real danger. But that’s going to be an October issue (assuming things are status quo, which is probably a very stupid assumption). But that’s all late push and targeted ground game. The Dems, I think, have that infrastructure in place.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

We don't know. We're just scared that enough of them exist that, along with pissed off non-voting Dems, that the election could swing to Trump.

4. Neutral Corner

I thought this was pretty good, and it also applies to the current discussion. "I don't know much about French politics, but I know a panicked political commentator when I see one."

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sad but true.

Because if someone actually explains what Trump plans to do to the economy — just his ideas on tariffs alone — it makes the inflation and trip to Walmart of the past year look like a rummage sale in comparison.

garrow and dixiehack like this.
  6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I really liked this article. It's more than an opinion piece. It explains -- says out loud -- what the problem is that I've been unable to quite pinpoint exactly, or clearly. But I got it from this.

It's the code words, apparently, that are the problem.

To wit:

Meanwhile, Biden can’t call out white nationalism because he’s afraid of tarnishing the positive U.S. brand, which glorifies the “heartland” and “hardworking people” and “ordinary Americans” — code terms for “white.”

I think I never really considered "heartland," "hard-working people" and "ordinary Americans" as code words for white (only).

And maybe that is, indeed, the thing: The definitions and connotations of those words need to change. As much as possible, they need to mean "nationalists," not just "white nationalists."

It would seem to me that that could happen easily enough, with any narrative involving those words reflective of being more inclusive, and more accurately descriptive of what most see, or hope to see, as America's guiding principles. "Heartland" is a little more difficult, maybe, just because it designates a geographic area, and because ethnic minorities still are not as populated in those places. Even so, the work ethic and pride associated with people living and working in those areas certainly could be comparable/compatible to all other "hard-working people" and "ordinary Americans." And I think most people know whites don't have a monopoly on being such "hard-working people," or "ordinary Americans," who all should be being touted for their ability to make up an extraordinary whole country, etc., etc...

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Governor replaces someone of the same party of the one leaving

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There's no reason to think it will come down to same three as last time -- Wisconsin, Michigan and Penn.

The most basic scenarios:

If Biden keeps those three, he can lose Georgia, Arizona and Nevada and win 270-268.

If he loses all three, Trump wins 279-259

If he wins any two of the three, the map has to stay the same as 2020 and he'd still win

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Project 2025 is the new Hawk Tuah chick.

Gonna take a whole lot more spitting on that thang.

But it’s taking very well.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

She and Lauren Boebert would be entertaining in a dumb-off. Just the dumbest people on Capitol Hill.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Are we seriously just now realizing Trump's base is racist?

12. Neutral Corner

No. The groundswell started when he came down the escalator and started with the "rapists and murderers" schtick.

Draft saved Draft deleted