1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

saying things like that gives me no choice but to hold my nose and vote for donald trump

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Trump's base is racist. Some of them. To a degree. So was Romney's. So was McCain's. . . .

Remember the spooked "He's an Arab!'" woman describing Obama at the McCain rally? The difference is McCain handled that situation well. Trump would have exacerbated it.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hardworking, ordinary heartlander still doing his own research.

GettyImages-830617844-1024x683.jpg

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I respect McCain for doing that but I sometimes wonder if it cost him the election.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think Sarah Palin cost him the election more.
    Fast forward 16 years and, if Trump picks Palin, he probably gains points in the polls.

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Finally caught up here. This thread has become something of a doom scroll for me. Not saying that's wrong, but like how i don't like watching the Cubs or Heels get blown out and lose, I rather shut it off and look at something else.

That said, I've been following a lot of this from an observer's point of view. Not a "vote blue no matter who" version, which I am because, well, DONALD FUCKING TRUMP AND HIS CULT. But just by watching and reading how these last two weeks have been covered and where the narrative is and seems to be going.

I live in NC, and clearly, following the debate and ahead of the George interview, the Biden Campaign clearly upped the frequency and timing of TV ads for Joe. There had to have been 3-4 per hour - maybe more - during Good Morning America's first hour block. And we saw them in primetime, too. It was very obvious.

This morning has been very different. Working from home today so GMA is always on in the background as we get ready. For two hours now, there's been one Joe ad, and it's one more about Trump, 34 felonies, sexual assault, etc., with an "I approved this message" outro by Joe. Last week it was the fired up Joe from NC speech "We get back up!" ad that ran and ran and ran. Either the campaign has shifted in money spend after 10 days, or they may be reading the tea leaves, which sure seem to be getting more prominent. Maybe they're mad at George, I don't know.

Meanwhile, notice something? Trump's been NOWHERE the last 10 days. Quiet. Not making many appearances. That suggests to me, at least for this slice of time and moment, he's listening to smart campaigners in his camp. Stay out of the limelight for once. Let Joe take every sling and arrow. Trump is the absolute worst, but he's a master marketer. Marketing, he knows. The narrative, friends, is working. After 3 minutes of hurricane coverage, GMA spent 5-6 minutes as a block about Biden worries with a produced piece and table discussion. Again, maybe it's because George is at the center of it and they have the content, but that's as mainstream and milquetoast as anything gets. It's a worry for Biden. It just is.

Again, it's older white people in a restaurant in NC, but the NYT would've loved the table of the people next to my family over the weekend. Two older couples, and obviously Trumpers. Biden was "corrupt," "yes, so corrupt," between man and other wife, but with no discussion of what the corruption is. The other woman was just so sad because, "All the children" have to see these things brought up about Trump. But that was the thing: they blamed Dems and Biden for anything bad for Trump. It wasn't that Trump did those things, it was that the kids might see them. Someone please think of the children, not the guy.

They don't care and they will show up to vote here. Anything bad said about Trump does nothing for them, as discussed here. You cannot changed these people. I get that. But the idea that it's just the Left pointing it out again and why can't they just move on? "Witch Hunt!" I know, I know, not serious people. Delusional. But they will show up and they like their flawed hero. It makes them feel good to "forgive" someone.

I don't know what's going to happen, and I don't know what should happen. But I know the national narrative for two weeks has been the worst it's ever been for Joe. The absolute worst. I agree it's July and it's summer and most people are not as invested as me. But, that's what worries me. Those who are hardly invested are the most persuadable, and it won't take much.

The narrative is very bad, it's national, and I don't know how it turns around. Whether we believe it should be a real issue or not, Joe's age has been talked about for a year. For a year. It's not going away at horse race time. Something needs to happen, because something is happening right now.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ask Mitt “47 percent” Romney if an election can be lost in the summer.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump has been abusing our civic society since he rode down that g*ddamn escalator in 2015. And if he becomes POTUS again....he'll be abusing it from the oval for the rest of his worthless life. Is that what non-cult members want? I guarantf*ckingtee they WILL NOT like Trump 2.0. Older, dumber, angrier.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, those have been code for a longtime now. Like when the coach of a suburban or rural school says their opponent is "athletic," he usually means "black." While the white teams are usually "fundamentally sound."

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Great post. What pisses me off more than anything is the Biden campaign trying to tell us "he had a cold" or he just had a bad night. I know what I saw with my own eyes, and what I've been seeing for months now. Their gaslighting is no better than what Trump has done for years. I was absolutely floored by how doddering Biden looked during that debate, and I can't get it out of my head. I do not trust him to lead the country, even if I trust the people he's installed around him. The comments from foreign leaders are very concerning as well. I have major reservations about voting for him at this point, with the only reason I could actually dot the Biden circle now is that he's not Trump. My district is something like reliably 85-15 blue, so my vote basically won't matter anyway.

maumann likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

States' rights!

reagan-neshoba-2-335x271.jpg

garrow and Woody Long like this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Joe vs. Joe on MSNBC right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted