1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Convention is next week so he'll be coming out of his cave soon. Especially to name his running mate.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Prior to Trump, modern presidents, after they left office, usually worked on two things: writing their presidential memoirs and planning their presidential library. Trump did neither. Now, that was because those actions would signify he actually did lose the election (and he's a lazy ass with the attention span of a goldfish). But if he returns to the White House.....it will look downright eerie, like clairvoyance.

F*ck! Let's not make that return happen, folks.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Quite blue. Biden won Virginia by 10 percent (nearly 500,000 votes) in 2020.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

So, what to do about changing the meaning/intention of code words?

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

It was the imagery of the gritty white men (and their white wives and kids) in rural America -- in the context of a "heartland" that doesn't really exist that way anymore and hasn't for generations - and the implicit message the commercial (not Harvey's old monologue itself necessarily) sends about Real America as opposed to Fake America that doesn't produce anything. I mean, God did make a special educator or classroom aide in a struggling, overcrowded urban school, didn't he?. God made a home health aide. God made a social worker. God made a labor or community organizer. God made a metro reporter for fuck sake, God made a cop (but there's more than enough law-enforcement fetishism to go around). God made a service worker. God made a hotel housekeeper. And the list goes on.

I do see your overall point. But then there must be a reason it had one black person on screen for about 5 seconds. To say nothing of the unseen predominantly Hispanic laborers who are doing the lion's share of the actual farm work.

6. WriteThinking

I don't think it was because those actions would've signified he lost the election. It simply meant those were not things he cared about. Nor will he ever. I'm sure he never even gave them a thought. He's not smart, engaged or history-oriented enough to have done that, or to have purposely done the opposite. I doubt there will ever be a Trump Presidential Library.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The books have all been colored....

8. WriteThinking

To go back to my original point, though, could this not be a perfect, and legitimate, way to change the code words and their meanings? To make them more inclusive, diversified and broad? To think that maybe our language or our perception of it just needs to be changed, and harped upon until it does change, seems like something that could happen.

People need to be made to see and think about these things, just like they are now about Biden's age-related difficulties.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My sister died last night. (We were notified this morning, anyway.)

She had lived in Texas almost 40 years, and over those years, she had slid over to the right wing side. She was mainly taken in by the "pro-life" con.

We had a couple of dustups over it over the past several years. We never got to the point of "I'll never speak to you again" or anything like that, but it put a real chill on every conversation, and our contact really dwindled down to only a couple times a year.

And it was mainly due to Fatfuck. Now I figured out long long ago that politics aren't good for interfamilal conversations, so I would scrupulously tiptoe around all that stuff. But sooner or later, she'd throw in some kind of MAGA zinger -- for example, she thought Tim
    Pool and Stephen Crowder were pithy geniuses.
    She'd throw in snark about Obama.

Upon which I'd just drop the subject.

I was particularly amazed or astonished that she and many of her friends had jumped on board the right wing bandwagon of vilifying and scapegoating public education, particularly so since she was a public schoolteacher for 30+ years. I just couldn't see shaking the pom poms for a bunch who make it absolutely clear they believe who you are and what you do are such worthless shit. If it was up to them, my sisters career would have been eradicated decades ago.

She also fell in with a bunch down there who were very concerned about dirty smelly Mexicans pouring over the border. Perhaps the fact they lived 15 minutes from the Rio Grande might have something to do with it.

Anyway when she left Michigan 40 years ago she was a nice kind person. Pretty much a modern liberal Catholic. The Prayer of St. Francis and all that. In the end, she became something else. And that's on Fatfuck.

And that's just MY story. We didn't get violent or vengeful or nasty, no slamming doors, none of that. Nobody told anybody to fuck off forever. But our family ties had been corroded. I can only think of all the millions of other people who have had it worse, whose families have been really destroyed -- Fox News parents written off by their children and vice versa.

That can never really be fixed.

And for what? That fucking pervert??

God, it will be such a beautiful day for the world when he drops dead. By Any Means Necessary.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2024
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is that even possible? It's taken X years for the code words to become code words, would it take another X years to change it or 2X years?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m sorry to hear it @Starman. My relationship with my brother was never super close, but it frayed badly after the 2020 election.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Condolences, my friend.

May her memory be a blessing.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted