1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

The main characters are outstanding but the minor characters are just as compelling. Every scene that Oliver Platt and Jon Bernthal are in is either hilarious or mesmerizing.

The everyday conversations are so real, filled with how people actually talk not BS Hollywood cliches and lines that seem made up and sappy.

The scene with Bernthal's character, Michael, and how Tina came to the Original Beef was worth an Emmy in itself.

garrow and sgreenwell like this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Tina's episode is excellent. I think Platt is the best of the supporting cast for season three.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That’s what “Manifest” was for my wife and I. About halfway through the second season the plot got a bit preposterous, but we stuck with it through the end because we could both laugh at it.

She doesn’t appreciate when I mock “Bridgerton” or “Call the Midwife.” And I don’t appreciate loud Facebook dog videos on her phone while I watch sports.

Lt.Drebin and sgreenwell like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just started season 2 set in CovidAmerica. Its fascinating. Not sure if its "nostalgia" or - "were things THAT fucked up?"

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Presumed Innocent is good because Bill Camp is magnificent.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I am 2 episodes into season 3 of The Bear and am underwhelmed. Beautiful visually, but I found it somewhat repetitive (Carm the tortured genius).
    I did find it funny in the first episode that the two real life chefs in Carmy’s history showed no bad sides, while the two fictional ones could be assholes to different degrees.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I used that same exact word when texting a friend about the first couple episodes

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Watched S3, E1&2 last night. That show just doesn't do it for me. Every time there was a pause, I was hoping the credits would roll so I could move on.

Another question: What is the story with "Suits"? On Netflix last night there was the icon with a label that said, "New Season." Last on the episodes list was S9, but those were from 2019 and I saw all of them maybe 2 years ago, the ones with the evil woman from the Bar Assn. who was sent in to monitor the firm.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There is a Suits spinoff coming.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I made it about halfway through the series. I liked at the beginning, most episodes would have Mike with a cute parlor trick to outwit an opponent. As the seasons dragged on, it just became more of a fight about 'name partners' or control of the firm, or some such. I tapped out. My wife made her way through it.

This new season on Netflix is still from say, 2019. I watched the first episode. More of just battling over firm control.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've loved it all, but my spouse wasn't too crazy about 1 and 2, either. She did think Ep. 3 was the best of the season so far, and that's where we are.

qtlaw likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Netflix sometimes loses and then regains the rights to things - maybe that happened here. I'm with you on Suits, though. Liked it when it was Mike and Harvey's case of the week, disliked it when it got so far up its own ass with fights over who was being named partner.

poindexter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted