1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The problem is that the most vulnerable places are where people are moving and have been for decades.

You can only throw your chin out at Mother Nature for so long before she winds up and crushes it.

maumann likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

You aren't wrong, and I am as guilty as anyone. But nowhere is "safe" these days. If it's not hurricanes, it's tornadoes, flash floods, droughts, mud slides, fires, something.
    It's almost is if someone should have read the Georgia Guidestones instead of blowing them up.

maumann and Octave like this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I used to drive to my boss's beach house in Galveston and be absolutely astonished at some of the places quarter million dollar summer places were going up. A good storm surge would see eight feet of water inside of them, or worse. I wouldn't even want to guess at what insuring one of those costs today.

Driftwood and maumann like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2.2 million without power in Houston. Not fun.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Just got our power back in the Katy suburbs - lost it for about 10 hours. So, mostly safe and sound, although highly annoying. Everything in the fridge is in the 50-degree danger zone, so that needs to be chucked, and we lost some roof tiles. Also, I realize I haven't mentioned on this board before that my wife is about 40 weeks pregnant with our first - Literally due this weekend. She has not been thrilled at the idea of going into labor just before, during or immediately after a hurricane.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Kid better be named Beryl

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’ve never told a sweat-drenched man who just lost all his perishable food congratulations before. But congrats!

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A ham sandwich? If so, perhaps there will be indictments.

maumann likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A few miles separated a biblical flood from a nothingburger. All we got were a quarter-inch of rain and cooler weather.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If it slides all the way to Arkansas it will double the IQ of two states.

/NativeNashvillianJoke

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The bluff may actually spare a good part of the city in (at least) a 7.0 because it was obviously built upon rock. Western Tennessee is surprisingly hilly and has resisted erosion by the Big Muddy.

The bridges will be toast and liquefaction will destroy everything on delta soil from St. Louis to Vicksburg. And if it's an 8, there's nothing you can do.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

My youngest was born during a tropical storm at 40 weeks. There is some correlation between the barometric pressure drop and women starting labor. I don't think a causal link has ever been established, but he was a couple days early and labor started right after that big pressure drop hit our area. The L&D ward was incredibly busy that night. My son was the seventh kid our midwife delivered and she had an eighth after him. She said three or four is more typical.

Anyway, sounds like y'all made it through and hopefully that baby is here soon!

Draft saved Draft deleted