1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I’ve given up speculating about more important stuff because I’m almost always wrong, so I’m going to focus on what Trump’s big VP reveal at the convention might be like.

I’m kind of hoping for a masked singer sort of thing or Trump’s pick popping out of a cake with sparklers and stuff. But it will probably just be the potential candidates standing there and Trump yelling “You’re hired!’ or “You’re fired!”

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Be careful what you wish for. Doug Burgum or Tim Scott wearing pasties and popping out of a cake is not something you are going to easily unsee.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Convicted felon applying for the only job he can get.

We'll skin him alive in November.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yet with Trump, like that bizarre SOTU that was more game show than speech, it's plausible.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

This is it right there. People can shout into the wind about the great things Biden has done as president (I recognize them, though much of the country obviously isn't feeling the benefits). And they can shout into the wind about how unfair it is that nobody is calling for the decrepit, grifting, malevolent, bloated criminal malignancy on on the other side to step down. But we all saw the debate and nobody can, in good faith, say that he's done anything to change that impression in the last couple of weeks. A couple of shouty five-minute scripted speeches before small, friendly crowds and a bumbling interview with George Stephanopoulos just confirmed what anyone who's not wishcasting is seeing. When someone that age is in that condition, they don't improve with time. He is physically and mentally incapable at this point of being a constant media presence making a sharp, forceful defense of his record and a sharp, forceful attack on his is historically awful opponent.

Just take a look at Biden's schedule yesterday and today -- it's disgraceful. No events except for a NATO speech later. You think they'd be desperate to get him out there doing unscripted interviews, town meetings and multiple rallies a day to prove he still has it and fight back. But they're not putting him out there and that's because he CAN'T. FUCKING. DO IT. If you can't do those things, you shouldn't be running for president. Particularly when your biggest message is the existential threat posed by the other side.

Right now nothing from the White House is being done with the intent of actually wining the election. It's just to protect the ego of a good man and public servant who has now become a selfish asshole as he takes his party and country into a nosedive.

OscarMadison, garrow, Cosmo and 3 others like this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Humphrey likely would have won if the Nixon campaign didn't ratfuck the Vietnam peace negotiations.

I Should Coco and garrow like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How can you make that determination without knowing what he was doing instead of campaigning?

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Trump has been golfing for 11 straight days. What's disgraceful is your rant.

Fred siegle and matt_garth like this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You may be right about them coddling and hiding him. But the NATO Summit is his job right now. If he was out campaigning while all of those major leaders were convening, instead of engaging in meetings, he'd be derelict as president. He's getting scrutinized within that setting right now.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Regular people are not pundits, with the concerns and reactions of pundits. They're not even politically aware, on the order of the posters here. Many (most?) of them have already made up their minds, whether it's over women's rights/Roe, LGBT issues, voting rights, immigration, whatever. Trump's got his MAGA loyalists, lord knows they're not changing what they think. He didn't have the votes last time, and I'm not convinced that he's gained that many since the last election. I think he gets his ass beat. I also think that there will be a lot of people who, when it gets close to Election Day, say to themselves "No way in hell I let this moron win again."

I'm just terrified that I'm wrong.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

There's always that. And it's in the back of my mind, too. But Joe is our best, and practically only chance. Kamala is the only other viable option, and it's just not going to happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted