1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Best to you, sgreenwell!

We got 22 inches of snow the week before our daughter was due. And you’d be hard-pressed to find a major metropolitan area that handles snow WORSE than DC.

I called EMS to determine whether they’d be able to come get my wife if she went into labor, and also asked them to explain how to deliver a baby on a living room floor, just in case.

But everyone held on and she was born without incident, and came home from the hospital on Super Bowl Sunday in time to watch the Broncos smash up the Panthers.

garrow, sgreenwell, Batman and 3 others like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Man, I really miss Beryl jumping on Wide World of Sports.

three_bags_full and maumann like this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's coming into Texas, so I think it's more like Beryl racing.

Batman, Twirling Time and maumann like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Hurricane Beryl's deadly, record-breaking rampage is all but over, but forecasters say the storm is confirming their fears about a dangerous hurricane season.
    On Tuesday, forecasters from Colorado State University upped their already record hurricane forecast. They now expect an additional hurricane (a total of 12 for the season) and two more named storms (a total of 25 for the season).
    "Hurricane Beryl, a deep tropical Category 5 hurricane, is also a likely harbinger of a hyperactive season," the updated forecast says.
    There is a bit of short-term good news, however: "Following Beryl, it does look like the Atlantic season will quiet down temporarily," Phil Klotzbach, a hurricane researcher at Colorado State University, told USA TODAY.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The electric company, CenterPoint, truly sucks ass. Its not like National Grid in New England was awesome, but they seem wildly competent as compared to CenterPoint. I also suspect that the power goes out much easily here vs. other states because Texas is its own grid and not subject to the same oversight at the other 49 states.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

You could always have Eversource.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A reminder that if Trumpists and interesting, thoughtful libertarians get their way, the fedruhl bureau that predicts and tracks hurricanes will be eliminated. And their states will be hurt more than others.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Or Pepco.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Centerpoint's equivalent here is Oncor, and they aren't much better. If the power goes out just because of a fried squirrel, might as well pack up and go to Starbucks for 2 to 3 hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted