1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Not sure what to think yet. My initial response is a big no.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The Lisa Kudrow of it is interesting, and Apple tends to spend a billion dollars on projects like this.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. OscarMadison

She would be one of the few people who might pull this off. I really liked her in The Comeback. My other thought is, "Is it really Time Bandits?"

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Not sure what turns you off about this. I'm a fan of Taika Waititi and Jermaine Clement, who are exec producers and in the show. Plus, see hints of stuff from the movie. Already have it on my list to watch. Of course, reviews aren't in yet so maybe that'll change my mind. But Apple+ shows generally are at least halfway decent.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm in, and fantasy's not usually my cup of tea.

6. OscarMadison

Remakes and refits generally get an eyeroll from me. Redoing Time Bandits just feels...odd. This is especially true given the creators involved. Waititi and Clements are possessed of their own very distinctive cinematic idiolect that is much warmer and more emotionally filigreed than Terry Gilliam's.

When you watch a Terry Gilliam movie, there is a sort of emotional empty space that is left for you to fill. In some of his films, such as Brazil and Zero Theorem, it can almost make the movies feel cold. That's why I posed the question of this being Time Bandits or just something remotely akin to it. Doesn't mean I think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Time Bandits was one of my favorite childhood films. I still watch the John Cleese scene. I am a huge fan of Flight of the Conchords and thus Jemaine Clement (though David Warner is a tough act to follow) so I'll check it out at some point, like when Severance returns. I wanted to like Our Flag, but found it unengaging.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

They did a spin off of Jessica in Chicago. It was … not good.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

One of my guilty pleasure shows returned last night, Claim to Fame on ABC.

Relatives of famous people compete to hide their identity and guess the others. It is reality, but it's not catty and most everyone seems to be having fun.

It's hosted by Kevin and Frankie Jonas, who talk a lot of trash to each other about their fame, and lack of it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Through 7 episodes of The Bear. Not a god damned thing has happened this season. Oh yeah, Sydney got an apartment. Hope I didn't spoil it for you!

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We're midway through The Bear Season 2, enjoying the hell out of it. But the next good thing I read about Season 3 will be the first (granted I'm trying not to read much, but every headline or one-liner is bad).

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Season 2 is frigging great.

playthrough likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted