1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Get the fuck out of here with this shit. Starting to get sick of Orioles fans going nuclear any time they lose a single game. Burnes is pitching at home tonight, the dude who has given up more than three earned runs exactly once all season. Yet you're crowing on about a sweep like a goddamn eeyore.

Last night sucked. So did Saturday in Oakland. But they continue to chug along, winning two out of three most series. I guess nothing less of 110 wins will be enough to satisfy some. Just enjoy the fucking ride, man.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The Orioles are the new Steelers of this board.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When AI is your GM lol

"Because of how we've been playing, I've decided to join us. It's been a struggle, obviously. Thankfully we got out of the gates really strong, so hopefully that cushion will allow us to work through this hopefully sooner than later on because it's gone on long enough."

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I’m off the ledge now. Most of my doom is a reverse-jinx thing. But it is overdone.
    I do think another starting pitcher is a must, however. I trust Elias to part with a truly top guy (Holliday, Mayo. Basallo) if and only if the return is exceptional.
    And I don’t know who that would be. (Crochet will be a huge risk for someone.)

6. tapintoamerica

If I read the FanGraphs injury report correctly, 91% of players on the 15- and 60-day ILs are pitchers. (At the end of the 2023 regular season, the most recent available comp, that figure was 81%.) Thats staggering.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with that. If there weren't a few of us here, I probably wouldn't talk about them as much. Alas.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

100 percent agree on the pitching. It's an issue for a lot of teams right now, though, and with very few teams really out of it in the National League, it's going to be a tough commodity to find. I'm quite curious to see how Povich fares Friday against the Yankees. I don't think his start against the A's was a blip. He looks to have very little in the way of overpowering stuff, and if his command isn't pinpoint, it can turn Katie Bar The Door very quickly against him. But maybe I'm overreacting to one bad start. Suarez seems to have rebounded from his little hiccups against the Yanks and Stros.

9. tapintoamerica

Povich has to deliver. McDermott, perhaps distracted by the most recent Povich line, didn’t get out of the first inning the next day.

You can’t have it all in a farm system. And right now, the reinforcement ain’t there on the mound. But that’s why depth elsewhere matters. It will bring someone into the fold.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

MLB gets many things wrong, but it did right by Alabama.

It wasn’t all nickel and dime stuff either. A black-owned engineering firm got nearly $4.5 million to redo the playing surface at Rickwood Field.

https://www.al.com/opinion/2024/07/...oost-minority-and-women-owned-businesses.html

Spartan Squad likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Many Dodger fans are freaking out about this not realizing that he wasn't going to pitch again until after the All-Star break and it's a way to bring up another arm. I'm guessing he'll be back for his first start after the break .

Nobody churns through pitchers like LA.

Draft saved Draft deleted