1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think there are a couple of factors in play here that we're underestimating.

First, other than LBJ, who had already won reelection once and whose political issues are well known, the last sitting President to not seriously pursue nomination for a second term was Chester Arthur in 1884. The last one who didn't ascend to the presidency by death was Rutherford Hayes (1880). The presidency is really one eight-year term with a performance review in the middle. To not run for a second term frames the decision voters made in 2020 as a mistake and makes him a lame duck from that day forward.

I actually think Biden would have stuck to one term if not for Trump, but it's pretty hypocritical to frame 2020 as a "battle for the soul of the nation" and then bow out of it in 2024 against the same opponent.

That said, what makes this a goat rodeo is the changing horses in midstream, and that's where the two forces oppose each other (and probably why one-terming it doesn't work). The process of running for re-election has to start so early that if Biden hadn't committed to this path by mid- to late summer of 2023, the infrastructure and fund-raising are behind schedule, not to mention the fact that caucuses and primaries for his successor start a full 10 months ahead of the general election. On the other hand, switching now produces a candidate who was not selected by the public (though a lot of people don't realize that primaries are the property of the parties, they may find it 'undemocratic') and is thrown on stage halfway through the show. Meanwhile, the kind of bickering we've seen within the party in the last two weeks is exactly what you don't want going into a general election.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And that makes perfect sense.
    When your candidates are 40-70 years old.

Biden put us in unprecedented territory because of his age; and now nothing can be done because it would be "unprecedented."

It's like Planet Beavis and Butthead.

Let me do a rewind, and I'll take Trump 2020-24 over Trump 2024-28(32)(36)?

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No. He’d have slowed vaccinations because freedom. He’d have had another SCOTUS justice in his pocket. And so on.

garrow and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Did something happen or was something floated that prompted this talking point of, "Only American citizens should be able to vote in elections"?

And if the GOP likes to promote how well they are moving in Hispanic circles in polling, why are they so afraid? I know, that's a dumb questions because math, but still. One thing they are good at - getting their folks outraged. You can't say they're not engaged with their party.

I will note that in the last week (again, central, south NC), I've noticed people are becoming more bold with their Trump signs and flags again. I've seen brand new signage popping up. People are getting comfortable showing their colors again.

franticscribe likes this.
  5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Let's talk about this one ...

A legal resident of the United States, but a non-citizen (green card, visa, whatever ...). Should that person have a say in their local government, if their local government is OK with it?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

For "American citizens" substitute the words "white men" and the phrase makes perfect sense. I must also point out that it's perfectly natural for any candidate to have more visible signs of support as the election gets closer.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've actually seen some folks advocating that landowners should only be allowed to vote. Renting an apartment? Sorry, but you don't get a voice!

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I walked into a restaurant in a nearby suburb yesterday with a sticker on the door reading “This Fuddville Business Will Be Voting Yes for a City Manager.” So apparently IOIYAR.

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Inky, how pernicious is that shit.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m still waiting for the Vote of Confidence.

garrow and dixiehack like this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I haven’t read the Clooney piece as I don’t give a flying fuck about celebrity political opinions. He of course has the right to say what he thinks like everyone else. And I like his movies.

For anyone who has read it, does it mention Amal Clooney was criticized by Biden over her work for the ICC accusing Israel of warn crimes?

I’m not stating a position on that, but not mentioning it would be a pretty big hole in the piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted