1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The family Christmas episode, holy cow that was awesome.

outofplace and sgreenwell like this.
  2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

One of the best, though anxiety-filled, episodes of television, IMO. The forks episode is great as well.

I'm apparently in the minority, but I liked Season 3 a lot. Good as 1 and 2? No. But that's a exceptionally high bar. For those who say nothing happens, I say it's a well-done and in-depth picture of the effects of generational trauma.

jr/shotglass and sgreenwell like this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I like S3, but I loved the first two seasons. I think that's kind of the general consensus. And if you only thought S1 and S2 were good or pretty good, then you're probably going to fall off hard with S3, which is much slower. I think S3 still has three incredible episodes, but it feels like a show that was stretched from three to four seasons, as the creators said they did.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Can't remember if I mentioned it here, but there are a lot of "oh DUH" little meta moments with the show. Like how "Fishes" is probably the show at its most frantic and damaged, culminating with the dinner table scene and a thrown object... and of course, the next episode is one of the slowest, most serene episodes, and it is called "Forks."

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The Jonii are fun. It was an inspired choice. Dean Martin's granddaughter is one of my favorite contestants.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

ESPYs really gonna go more than a half hour over and that’s with several no-show winners

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Annnnd they fucked up their ending. Started replaying earlier segments, then just rolled credits. Didn’t award team of the year

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed watching the ESPYs.

The Pat Tillman Award segment early on brought tears to the eyes. And Prince Harry's acceptance speech regarding injured vets and the Invictus Games he started for them 10 years ago, would have done anyone proud, even his family, and perhaps Tillman's mom, too.

South Carolina women's basketball coach Dawn Staley, winner of the V Foundation Award for perseverance (in her efforts to fight and fund-raise against The Big C on behalf of her cancer-stricken sister, Tracy Underwood, as well as other close friends and acquaintances) just knocked it out of the park with her inspired words.

Ditto regarding Nick Saban and his Icon Award.

Uh, just now watching the Courage Award segment on former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason, who has been fighting ALS, himself, and for others through his foundation, for the past 13 years. You could've heard a pin drop in the room. Amazing.

The show just has had heart, and I guess I've needed some of that. Well worth watching.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Having watched the first 8 episodes of this season of The Bear, only 2 were excellent (6 and 8). I was listening to The Watch podcast, and they mentioned in their review of the first half of the season that the show was conceived of for 3 seasons and that maybe some of the wheel spinning and Fak nonsense was just filler.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Watched "Brats" on Hulu, Andrew McCarthy's documentary on his fellow Brat Packers. Pretty good. Good how he also sat down with the New York Magazine writer who coined the term, considering the whole group has pretty much hated it all these years. Also, Ally Sheedy has aged very nicely.

Lt.Drebin likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've watched several times on PG platforms, so all the cursing makes it more realistic. Sad at the same time that replating after midnight is such a thing of the past now.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

My two silly quibbles with the movie:

1) A New York tabloid wouldn't have had an 8 p.m. one and only deadline in the 1990s.
    2) The story would've been knocked off as the front page wood by the parking commissioner shooting the managing editor

Doesn't stop me from loving it though!

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted