1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We agreed to do 4 movies this weekend. So in addition to Anyone But You, so far we watched The Darjeeling Limited (down the middle Wes) and The Idea of You (meh).

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

BH Cop .....
    Routine, like they used the same script from the previous movies. Axel knew from the first minute he got to BH who the bad guy was, the police exec with shoes and wristwatch well beyond his pay range. Some funny lines: "No, I'm not reaching for my badge, I've been black longer than I've been a cop." Pretty much it.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The Irishman. Took me three sittings to get through. Not that it was bad or I didn’t like it, but almost three and a half hours is a long ass movie. It was fine, nothing special. I was always intrigued by Hoffa. Did they have to make Pesci’s face look like a used napkin?

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I really wanted to like the new Beverly Hills Cop movie. I was all in. Started well. Pretty fun and funny. Good use of all the old music.

But it faded to terrible pretty quickly. Story was weak. Actress who played the daughter wasn’t good. One laughably awful CGI shot with the helicopter.

Eddie was pretty good and engaging. But that’s just because Eddie is always good.

And Judge Reinhold was apparently played by Mickey Rourke’s plastic surgery.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Tried watching Creed. Turned it off a third of the way through, a bore. Just didn't hook me at all.

Watched Patton, again. Rare when an actor becomes the character. My dad shared an apartment on Kalorama Road in DC with Murray Kivitz, who was Patton's driver. The driver BEFORE The Driver.

Liut likes this.
  6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Patton is brilliant.

Liut likes this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Yes, but...deciding to release a war hero epic in 1970 took the balls of a general, it was nearly a year before Patton turned a profit. The real-life Patton was a vile anti-semite who in his diaries compared Jewish surviviors of Nazi concentration to animals; this is sharply referenced at the end when reporters ask him why he was employing so many Nazis in postwar positions.

Notable that Patton director Frank Schaffner and composer Jerry Goldsmith earlier worked together on Planet of the Apes.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Seeing it in that context makes me appreciate it even more. Thanks! I watched it a while back and had the same feeling that seeing The Sting earlier this year evoked. There are good movies and fun movies and movies that move you in spite of their flaws and then there are the films that are works of art.

Patton
    is a work of art. It would be great with anyone in the title role, but George C. Scott bumped it up to another level.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
    Liut likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

If you ever get the chance to read Rage and Glory: The Volatile Life and Career of George C. Scott by author David Sheward ... do it.
    IIRC, Rod Steiger was offered the role but turned it down. I believe Steiger later stated that was the worst decision of his career.

Attached Files:

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Mrs Highlander-Spartan really wanted to see the new Quiet Place. Whole lot of meh. The anxiety of the first wasn’t the same. The driving force for the plot was very weak and the climax was basically an after thought. If anything this adds to why the first one wasn’t believable and kind of cheapens it.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

us
    Too much schmaltz. The dog. The pizza. And the dog. And given how many great British actors are out there, the male lead was, indeed. bleh.

Frustrating. A whole lot of thought and care obviously went into making it.... which didn't pay off.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The dog? You mean cat?

Draft saved Draft deleted