1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dr. Ruth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 13, 2024.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What I remember is that she simplified sex in the 80’s as something that was simply a part of everyone’s life, not some super secret thing only the people “in the know” got to talk about and have knowledge of.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2024
    2muchcoffeeman and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dr. Ruth was original Hawk Tuah girl.

melock and Batman like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Its sad to see that we've gone from a credentialed sex therapist to an internet meme to get advice on sex.

playthrough and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Dr. Faucci vs. Aaron Rodgers.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I listened to a podcast where George Packer, who writes a lot of foreign affairs articles, was invited to a dinner at the German Embassy hosted by Angela Merkel. Merkel was catching political heat because she had a relatively generous refugee policy. Dr. Ruth was somehow a friend of Merkel and was at the dinner along with Henry Kissinger. Packer said that Kissinger started advising Merkel not to admit to many refugees because adding different kinds of people to the population of a country sows social division. Dr, Ruth, who had been quiet, started in on Kissinger, asking how a fellow refugee from Hitler could say such a thing. Packer thought Merkel had planted Dr. Ruth at the dinner specifically to rebut Kissinger.

I thought that would have to be the highlight of any journalistic career to sit and watch that exchange.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One time, I had a couple of hours free to look at her autobiography. I got as far as her being able to go to Israel after WWII. The part of the book that stood out to me was one time, after she had left her family on the kindertransport, she received a letter from her father.

On the letter was a stain. Her father wrote her an apology for that stain, and said that they didn’t have anything like butter that could make the stain, but he couldn’t waste the paper after he had written and write another copy because they had very little paper to spare.

Many years later, Dr. Ruth showed the letter to a friend. The friend wondered if the stain had been a tear from her father crying. Dr. Ruth said that in all of those years, she had never thought of that.

RIP

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And Castellanos literally just hit a deep drive to center.

melock, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

10. HanSenSE

Am I officially old if I don't get the Hawk Tuah references?

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Either old or completely off social media.

Couple of weeks ago a Tik-Tok video of a young woman answering man-on-the street questions about sex went insanely viral when she described a favorite technique. It was pretty funny, and it spawned about 8 million memes.

12. HanSenSE

Ah OK. I don't do TikTok.

Draft saved Draft deleted