1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Mike Simonsen and Lance Lambert addressed the bubble created by cheap money and mortgage-backed securities on the podcast.

That doesn’t necessarily mean a crash. Largely they said we’ll just have to sit here until wages catch up to prices, and that could take years.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Hypocrisy is so cool now

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just found this podcast to see what they were saying. I didn't listen to much of it (I can't, working and need to be listening to other things), but the little I heard from the guys he was interviewing had it right. I just wish the host would give up on acting like "we" just need to design (what he really doesn't understand) better. It's the attempts to design the market that created the distortions everyone is complaing about in the first place.

I have posted about what the guy at the begninning of the podcast was saying a number of times on here. ... as it was unfloding. Here was one from 2022.

People like the host of that podcast look at "data" (that really isn't reliable) to try to explain what they see (or in the case of a lot of people, what they want to see), when the very obvious cause is what the Fed has already done (done without understanding what potential consequences might be later), which explains what we are experiencing in the present.

FWIW, nothing necessarily means a "crash." But underlying what they are talking in that podcast about is debt that was mispriced (artificially low) to the tune of an unquantifiable tens of trillions of dollars. For people with a 30-year fixed rate mortgage at 3 percent, they will never have to refinance. They are just locked in their homes for eternity. ... unless our monetary overlords can price fix the debt markets back down to zero interest rates (the fantasy everyone still clings to), which doesn't seem possible anymore given the economic mess / inflation we are finally dealing with. Although, who knows how much bigger they can dig a ditch and what schemes they can come up with to do it?

But there is a portion of the rental housing market (single family homes, mulifamily homes and apartment buildings) that mirrors the commercial real estate market, where yield-starved investors were bidding up prices and financing what they were doing at much shorter duration. That debt is going to need to be refinanced in the next few years, and that has the potential to spur a crash if a higher interest rate environment is in place. This is why the Fed is so eager to start cutting rates again, even though "inflation" by their own measures is still hot.

We can't afford anything except severely mispriced debt with the mess we have created. Already the interest on our Federal budget has jumped to more than a trillion dollars a year ($140 billion last month). The fantasy everyone is still fighting for requires us to price fix rates so they are artificially low for eternity. ... which creates the distortions that hurts people with the consequences of it (and causes the economic populism and anger we are now experiencing politically).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Donie O'Sullivan is one of the better young talents CNN has brought on in some time.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

About the only thing I found interesting about night one was Sean O'Brien's speech. I give Trump credit for inviting him, no doubt a ton of Teamsters are Trumpers. Union leaders, and other interest groups, SHOULD play hard to get with their endorsements. They might find they get more out of a political relationship when they can't be taken for granted. That the Teamsters haven't endorsed Biden already is a "win" for Trump. That said, as an organization it would be ridiculous to endorse Trump who seldom delivers on promises to workers, union or otherwise, when Biden delivered the infrastructure bill which funds 700,000 union jobs, many going to Teamsters.
    I mean, lets be real here, O'Brien said some things that have never been said at an RNC before.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"I give Tr-mp credit"

LOLOLOLOLOL

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised if O'Brien ends up buried next to Ivana one day.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Would you rehire someone you fired for gross negligence, who then incited a violent mob to prevent that? And then that person stole the most valuable information your organization possessed. Then was found to have sexually abused a woman and was convicted on 34 felony counts. And is clearly insane.

Should America?

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A registered Republican tries to assassinate the MAGA King, missing, but does kill a father of the year at the rally who died protecting his family yet his wife refused to speak to President Biden because her husband was a "devout Republican".

And they say the Dems got issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted