1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not sure "objectivity" exists.

I think the piece is reported fairly.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As long as the Iranian ships can avoid shallow water they're in good shape.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

OK. I guess that doesn't surprise me. I'm guessing it won't surprise you to hear that I don't.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There was nothing in there to doubt that should make anyone thing he wasn't simply reporting what he saw. It kind of comports with what anyone would have thought it would look like in Rafah right now. And that was with him being led around on a leash by an Israeli military liaison who was trying to manage the coverage. I thought he did a good job.

You could disagree with his analysis / conclusions (which is actually in the headline more than in the story), but even there I thought he did a good job of it: "This is what the Israelis are saying," "This is what you are getting from Hamas," "This is what global public opinion has been," "This is what I think based on what I see firsthand."

I actually wish way more of the coverage was like that. The "coverage," if you can call it that, has been really propaganda heavy.

Azrael likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The only navigable route between the Caspian Sea and the ocean is the Volga-Don Canal in Russia. The Caspian Sea is landlocked. No idea if the canal is big enough to fit a destroyer or if Iran built the ship right there. Either way, the Iranians went to a lot of trouble to put one there.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Interesting. I read it more as "Israel says this, but...". Sounded like a prosecutor. Some (on this thread) might say that the facts are anti-Israel, but I don't think so. And I recognize my own bias.

Azrael likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think that's a pretty standard journalism construction since Vietnam. Not prosecutorial, but adversarial.

[Governing authority / military command says X], but [opposing authority / testimony / evidence on the ground says it might be Y]

Terrorists / Viet Cong unreachable for comment.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Send Jane Fonda. Duh.

9. The Big Ragu

Chinese social media has been abuzz about Xi Jinping having a stroke at a CCP meeting and local Chinese media is confirming it.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

It may be "fake news." Im still waiting for confirmation beyond the squawk I heard (someone reading headlines) early this morning. I assumed it was legit, because they usually are only reporting things from legit news sources. I'm sorry if I passed along a rumor that isn't true. I try to be careful about that.

12. The Big Ragu

There are unconfirmed rumours that Chinese President Xi Jinping had a stroke | Forexlive

This is from a Google News Search.

"These reports, evidently originated from a YouTube blog from dissident Jennifer Zeng, who has previously floated rumours about a coup and Xi's arrest before. Despite that, they have been doing the rounds in Chinese and Russian social media for a few hours. I'm reluctant to even report on them but there is a chance that Chinese markets move on them. I certainly don't believe them.

Draft saved Draft deleted