1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The most surprising thing I learned watching the ASG is that Ohtani is 23 for 26 in steals.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So when I really cared about the All-Star Game as a kid, the American League won just one time -- 1971 at Tiger Stadium -- the whole time I was in elementary school, middle school, high school and college. It used to get irk me to have to argue with the haughty NL fans about how superior their players were every damn year.

And now that I don't really give a darn, the American League seems to be prospering from the Curse of Atlee Hammaker.

I watched a couple of innings last night. One, the softball uniforms are hideous but I could live with reasonably decent-looking major league-type colors if they have to sell a couple hundred special event jerseys because MLB is in the poorhouse.

But the real thing that bugged me the most were the caps. Could they at least wear their real caps instead of some trucker logo they bought on their last trip to Buc-ee's? I want to be able to recognize something about each player and who they play for the other 162 games. The sleeve emblem blends in with the ugly blue-black-pink-red.

Whomever Nike's "fashion designer" might be, he or she needs to be flogged with a stack of Vogue magazines for picking perhaps the worst-looking color scheme possible. If that's "in style" right now, if I showed up at my golf club wearing a polo shirt like that, I'd be laughed off the first tee.

Liut, Huggy, poindexter and 7 others like this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Nike will blame Fanatics, who will blame "suppliers" and "vendors." Someone really needs to look into how Michael Rubin got so much Gat damned power and influence over sports fashion.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Did want to add to my original post that I think the 1 seed could very easily go to Cleveland. The AL race should be fun to watch until the end. I'm biased, but I like Baltimore by a hair over the Yanks simply because the O's have a marginally easier schedule down the stretch and need only one win in the final three-game set with the Yanks to win the season series and claim the tiebreaker.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The NL was up 37-20. They are now down 48-44. You almost couldn’t try to be that bad for that long

Liut and maumann like this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

From 1950-87 the American League only won eight times. From 1988-2024 the National League has only won seven times, with most of those coming in a pair of three-game winning streaks.
    Weird.
    But we're right at that 36ish year mark, so maybe the NL is about to go on a tear for a few decades.

And you're a million percent right on the uniforms. Terrible. I felt like I was watching an old RBI Baseball video game come to life.

Liut and maumann like this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Worse. RBI Baseball unis were simple two-tone. These looked like ones you'd see Sleve McDichael wear in a Japanese Super Famicom game.

2muchcoffeeman, Batman and maumann like this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Both times the Rangers won the AL pennant in 2010 and 2011 the NL team had HFA because the NL won the All-Star Game. It mattered in 2011 when it went seven.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I really thought last year's win was going to start the new streak. Apparently not!

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree on the hate for these All-Star uniforms, and prefer each player wear their own team’s uniform. But I do remember seeing pics of the NL’s uniforms in 1933 and one of them in the HOF, and the unis during the 1980s Cracker Jack Old Timer’s series, and thinking that those uniforms looked pretty sweet.

Just use white and gray jerseys depending on the home team with red caps and trim for AL and blue for NL. Sometimes simplicity is best.

maumann likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There are other rooftops.

Draft saved Draft deleted