1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Glad you brought that up. Guys like Sinclair can chop it up into bite sized pieces and drown viewers on 300 stations around the country.

The following is a list of stations owned or operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group. Sinclair owns or operates 294 television stations across the United States in 89 markets ranging in size from as large as Washington, D.C. to as small as Ottumwa, Iowa/Kirksville, Missouri. Several of these stations are owned by affiliate companies with varying ties to Sinclair—including Cunningham Broadcasting, Deerfield Media, and Howard Stirk Holdings—and operated by Sinclair using local marketing agreements.
    And that doesn't include the wave of social media. So saying "fewer than 20 million watched in real time" while technically true is missing the point.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It IS scary and it IS undoubtedly our future.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Watching and paying attention are two totally separate things.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In the early 2000s, I had relatives question why I wasn’t going for a master’s degree in journalism, because they thought it would lead to higher salaries. One of my uncles even offered to pay for part of the tuition.

They couldn’t understand when I told them that journalism was different than all the other fields and that having a Masters degree would make no difference in salary, and even make me considered to be overqualified in some employers’ eyes.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

FIFY.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think it is - especially considering the algorithmic silos the average consumer now experiences when they are online.

What are the combined ratings for those Sinclair stations? More importantly, what are the demos? My 83-year-old mother is the only person I know who sees the 6 pm news as appointment TV. I'll watch the weather - particularly during tornado season - but I'm not there for A block or anything after the meteorologist does wraps up the forecast and does chit-chat with the anchors.

To put it in more perspective, on Monday night the RNC drew 18 million viewers across 12(!) networks. That up 6% from 2020, but down more than 20% from 2016. Of those viewers, 75% were 55+ in age.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

How the hell do I hit like on that?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Obligatory follow-up response:

OscarMadison and Azrael like this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You might be right and I might be wrong. But that's also just Sinclair.

They can just run this (and dead-eye debate stares) on a loop till November ...

... and continue to dog whistle Kamala's name the Ugandan Giant way.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Serious party

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess he'll introduce him by calling the election the ultimate male versus the ultimate meatball.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A 70-year-old who was on tape using the N-word repeatedly and admitted he was "a racist - to a point" is speaking at the RNC?

Please get the smelling salts while I retire to my fainting couch.

Draft saved Draft deleted