1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I think it potentially does. He has won statewide races in every presidential cycle going back to Bush v. Gore. He was elected attorney general four times before becoming governor. He outperformed Trump by about 80,000 votes in 2020, though Trump had about 50,000 more in 2016. Democrats in this state have been taking a beating in statewide races during presidential elections for the last decade plus, but he keeps winning.

He's very moderate and is about as popular as a politician can be in the current environment. Most people seem to think he handled the pandemic extremely well and the state's had a lot of big economic wins during his tenure (though that's really more a result of Republicans in the legislature slashing corporate taxes and worker protections).

We're first in business, last in worker's rights.

I like him a lot and would feel a whole lot more comfortable voting for Harris-Cooper than I will be for Biden-Harris.

Driftwood and tapintoamerica like this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not that much; he's 67 years old.

Kamala is 59. Her VP pick, if it comes to that, should be no older.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

But priests don’t HAVE to take a vow of poverty. That’s the difference.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’d expect the DNC numbers to fall off too, unless Kamala Harris being promoted to QB1 causes curiosity to spike. For one thing, people watch less of virtually everything on TV compared to eight years ago. For another, people HATE this election, even the ones who will vote in it. I’ve seen more than one person who is about to be a MAGA triple-dipper but is sick of talking politics.

maumann and Liut like this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Gaslighting Old Party

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As some wag said (maybe even upthread) -- he's two white tigers and a life partner away from being a Vegas act.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I can't go back too many pages on this thread ... it gets depressing.

Driftwood likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He won twice. But barely. His presence on the ticket may still help. Not a bad name. Ninth most populous state. About 800k more than Michigan. Not sure if that is reflected in EV counts for this one or not.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think Shapiro in Pennsylvania would be a good choice.

It would also be great, if Biden is going to do it, to announce he won't run about half-hour before trump is slated to speak tonight.

2muchcoffeeman and garrow like this.
  10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

800k is about the population of a typical congressional district. North Carolina has 1 more EV than Michigan in this cycle (16 to 15). We picked up a congressional seat after the 2020 census. Michigan is one of the states that lost one.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

North Carolina is a curious beast. It bounced Pat McCrory - R after the infamous bathroom bill, elected Roy Cooper - D not once but twice despite voting for Trump - R and two R senators time again. I can't wrap my head around that ticket splitting.

tapintoamerica and franticscribe like this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm all for that. That would interrupt his fleeting interest in curtailing telework for state employees. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted