1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If it's Harris, I'm thinking someone not from the West for the dreaded geographical balance.

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

For weeks I've heard on NBA podcasts and reading NBA offseason stories about "Could Russell Westbrook be a fit with the Nuggets?"

Sounded ridiculous every time. Westbrook and Jokic together? Then followup stories about how Westbrook was one of the first notable Jokic supporters around league circles. That Joker likes Russ. Story after story. Sort of like every podcast and NBA Draft story had Bronny going 55 to the Lakers. Kept being reported again and again.

Today the Clippers cleared the way with a trade and a buyout for Westbrook to sign with the Nuggets.

Sometimes the sources are right. I know that's a dumb comparison to make at the presidential level, but reporting is reporting.

garrow and franticscribe like this.
  3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Almost all of the ticket splitting in 2016 can be accounted for in the suburbs north of Charlotte, particularly in the communities near Lake Norman. A lot of the press put McCrory's loss on the bathroom bill, but I saw a pretty convincing analysis from Michael Blitzer (NC's local version of Larry Sabato) at Catawba College that actually put the blame on how badly his administration f*cked up the needed expansion of I-77. People were pissed about the toll lanes and the deal he struck with Cintra to manage them.

2020 is harder to explain, but I think it's a mix of Cooper's longtime incumbency - it was his eighth race in a row near the top of the ballot - and the pandemic.

Driftwood likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He's only been governor for 16 months. All signs point to him looking at 2028.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

When did JD Vance first take public office? 18 months ago. Now if a Dem........

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Maybe. Was mostly thinking Pennsylvania is more critical than NC.

Age-wise, a Cooper would be like Biden was to Obama.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Get Whitmer from Michigan. Who is going to refuse to vote for an all-woman ticket that wasn’t already going to vote against Harris for sexist reasons?

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Solid point. But I wonder if it's prudent to get ONE woman elected before trying for a double? I do think Gretch is great, though.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Apples and basketballs. Pennsylvania's electorate isn't Florida-North like Ohio. We're actually sane here for the most part. Vance was also helped by Tim Ryan doing everything in his power to lose that race.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

What did Ryan do?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the constitutional amendment I'm writing to redefine the office of president:

1) To be eligible to serve as president, a candidate must be 36 years old, a natural born citizen, AND must have previously served a minimum of four years as a state legislator, state governor, Cabinet officer, Ambassador , (to a G8 nation) or Representative or senator.

No more of these billionaire dilettantes. You wanna run for president, you need to do some other government job for a few years.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Cooper was the best one of 'em all!

franticscribe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted