1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Sure? No. Unless you can track every bullet and their path.

But unless you have some kind of evidence that something isn't what it appears to be, you should probably question why you are invested in finding alternative explanations.

To flip it, this is what Trump himself (and the conspiracy theorists he manipulates) does. Because you can always ask, "Are you sure that. ...," they use the question to create doubt and steer themselves (and in the case of Trump, try to steer people to a [sometimes outlandish] alternative that is self-serving for him) to something other than what the most likely explanation for something is.

I personally just look at what there is tangible evidence of. If there was any evidence that it was glass, I'd be open to it. But there isn't, at least any that I can see (and people were on this tangent almost immediately after he was shot at). To get to there, you need to want to find an alternative and settle on a possibility for which there is no actual evidence. What I do have evidence of is. ... someone fired a bullet from a rifle at Trump, and he had a wound that looked like it grazed his ear. I'll asssume that is exactly what happened (not that it hit glass somewhere that nobody can substantiate, and that is what injured Trump). If there was actual tangible evidence of glass being involved, I'd consider that. But I am suspicious when people take something where there isn't tangible evidence and keep floating the possibility.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
    gingerbread and Liut like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How didn't this happen?

[​IMG]

2muchcoffeeman, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Hulk Hogan addressing a major party convention....in 2024. F*cking crazy, man. Vote accordingly.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Next time a conservative starts talking about how the New World Order is taking over America, everyone can point to Hogan’s promo at the convention.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A number of police officers around the podium reported minor injuries from glass and metal fragments. That's the most supporting evidence for glass shard theory I've seen. Anyway, what's the difference? Trump suffered a minor wound in an assassination attempt that didn't miss by very much at all. What caused the wound is kind of irrelevant.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

the ear bleeds the most what happened to civility

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

While I somewhat agree with your point, the issue really is that the media’s reporting on this of substantial facts has been slow to non-existent. To my knowledge, there have been no medical reports released by Trump and there’s been the tendency of the media to just act as stenographers and merely quote Trump instead of doing the digging to find out for themselves.

Now, substantive reporting may take a considerable amount of time, which is why details seem scant, but the longer the time goes, the more the conspiracy theories take root. Plus, couple that with the GOP’s embracing of alternate facts and Trump’s behavior during the incident and it’s no wonder people are questioning what actually occurred.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Something I thought about in the last day or two. What if Secret Service preparations for the rally weren’t up to par because all of the A-list advance team members were in Milwaukee getting ready for the convention?

OscarMadison and franticscribe like this.
  9. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Something of which there is tangible evidence is Trump and those in his orbit lying about everything imaginable.

There is zero reason to trust their story without independent verification. The litany of lies — many of them laughable in their audacity — dictates this. Would they lie about this? Sure! In fact, based on their history, they must prove to me that it was a bullet, rather than glass.

The bottom line is that he survived an assassination attempt. Whether it was a bullet or glass that nicked his ear, it’s a near-death experience and it would shake anyone with a pulse to their core, perhaps even this sociopath. But would he and the people in his orbit exaggerate — or flat-out lie — to make the story better to add a layer of messianic zeal to the cake?

We have decades of evidence to say, “Yes, they would.”

Trump and Trumpworld get zero benefit of doubt. They earned this distinction.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

the whole fucking thing is faked

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I keep thinking about the oddity of Hogan being there. Not because he's a machismo entertainer, because that's on brand, but because Trump is trying to court black male voters.

I used to teach media law to journalism students and we would invariably talk about Hogan's privacy case against Gawker. As part of the teaching of the case, we'd do a news value analysis. The first couple of times I taught it, I just sort of had the class discuss some of the salaciousness of the sex tape and the people involved and whether those things made it newsworthy. Then in my third or fourth semester using it as a case study, one of the best students I ever had, who happened to be a young black man, quite forcefully pointed out that I had left out the biggest newsworthiness factor: Hogan's casual racism talking about his daughter f*cking black guys.

Anyway, I guess nothing matters anymore, and it was a while ago now, but I wonder how Hogan's introduction is viewed by black voters, particularly black men.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So, I've heard conflicting stories the past few days.

One was they just didn't secure that building - despite a clear line of sight to the podium and short enough range that it's an easy shot. Two was that building was where local LE agencies were staging, so they didn't think it needed to be secured because how could anybody get up there who wasn't supposed to be there (this is also being used as an explanation as to why they didn't keep Trump off the stage, they initially wondered if the shooter was a local PD guy).

That said, I don't think you need A-list advance team personnel to flag that location as a safety concern.

2muchcoffeeman and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted