1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now on the tee, from USA: The 2024 Open Championship thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, Jul 16, 2024.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

JT five under for his first eight holes. Congratulate yourself on an excellent prediction. Also, Thomas is sure having a weird Open. 68-78 and now this.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Except that he's currently T16 and 8 strokes back. You have to squint pretty hard to get contention out of that.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2024
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

From the comfort of my California room, where it’s 84° and climbing already here in the inland Empire, enjoying an Irish coffee, watching this because there’s nothing else on And playing a Mike Trico drinking game: every time he says “I should say “I drink. Thus you’ll need to excuse the typos

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I have no idea who this bloke Daniel Brown is, but his scrambling and ability to make clutch putts is impressive. We’ll see if that continues tomorrow.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This is why it's one of the two best weekends to watch golf all year IMO. Links golf. Wind. Rain. Respect for the course ... they're not just bombing and worrying later. Excellent.

MileHigh and I Should Coco like this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Shitty day for all at Troon, but I admire the Scot who just shouted "It's coming home!" at an English golfer on the tee. That, my friends, is a textbook example of "taking the piss."

JC, Cosmo and I Should Coco like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Have heard a few "Hawk Tuah"s at impact this week. That's not an improvement on "mashed potatoes."

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The definition of a slog today. Players trying to survive.

And to the points by Chef and Gee... that lead is shrinking and leaderboard getting tighter. I don't think JT will win, but I think anyone at even-par might have at least a slim chance to make a run.

Weather supposed to be better tomorrow.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Joaquin Niemann having two quintuple bogeys this week yet +5 overall is fairly remarkable.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Horschel is playing SO damn well.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Aw, I feel badly for Daniel Brown, right after he took an 18th-fairway selfie with some bros.

maumann likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

"Xander lurking" is the new "Tiger lurking."

But it's up for grabs. A dozen players at even or better and 8 within 2 strokes. Sunday AM will be appointment telly.

Draft saved Draft deleted