1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Over at Wrestlecrap their mailbag guy answered a question last week about how there hasn't been a lot of Gooker-worthy material so far in 2024. Looks like that might change.

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

After watching the match, the guy is just generic flippy, dippy masked luchador. Hell, his opponent -- some guy named Gringo Loco -- was more impressive. Imagine Scott Norton doing his best Rey Mysterio impression.

Batman likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's what I thought, too. Gringo Loco reminded me of Kevin Owens with some impressive agility for a big man. Hologram reminded me of Sin Cara, with both the moveset and presentation.
    Somewhere, Jim Cornette is losing his mind over the "flippy shit" and Dave Meltzer just fired off a tweet about how choreographed it was.

4. nietsroob17

Apparently, this is the first time a wrestler's presentation has totally been Tony Khan's baby. It shows, because it was totally underwhelming compared to any excitement Tony thought it deserved.

This residency at the esports arena -- I'm not sure what to think. It's better than filling a fraction of a 12,000-seat arena, but it's so sterile, it screams like it's a WCW Pro taping at Disney.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As with every wrestling character, I want to wait and see what he does in promos.

My gods ... Kevin Von Erich has aged horribly.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Also, Nigel McGinnis needs a new gimmick, something other than "fairly generic heel wrestling color analyst" than he's been going with since he wandered into the Collision set.

7. nietsroob17

Being a Von Erich, the fact that he's been given the chance to age is a win.

Meanwhile, WWE's new Vault channel on YouTube has been giving some classics, like Bo and Duke Rotundo vs. Jimmy and JULES Uso.

JRoyal likes this.
  8. nietsroob17

A quarter-century redemption arc for Earl Hebner in Montreal.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

They had Sami Zayn pick a match for that channel and he picked an El Generico match. I loved how he kept kayfabe during his intro. Good match too with Samaray del Sol (Kalisto).

10. nietsroob17

Or when WWE posted this about a year before AEW started up.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Having all of your brothers die + partying in the 1980s = Aging horribly in 2024.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted