1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If Biden had stepped aside a year and a half ago, and there had been a drawn out primary with other candidates, I am certain she would have never been the candidate. There has been so much discontent and economic anxiety, and she would have been running as the incumbent. On top of that, she's just unlikable to so many people.

Right now, she's getting immediate support because she represents the easiest choice. I suspect in the week ahead, you are going to start hearing more support for other names.

I think there is a better than even chance that she loses to Donald Trump. Joe Biden was losing even before people woke up to how fucking old he has gotten. She's Joe Biden, but with more polarizing attitudes, and without the ability to win elections that he once had.

One other thing, also. ... the yappers on TV are putting this sense of urgency on the Democrats choosing someone quickly, because time is of the essence, when I am sitting here thinking that the longer they take, the less time they are giving Trump and the Super Pacs to define the person and attack. Right now, Democrats are running against economic anxiety. That usually ends in landslide losses. The only thing they have to hang their hats on is that the opponent is Donald Trump and he is a terrible candidate, and unliked by the majority of people who think he's a liar and a bad person. I am not a political strategist, so maybe my sense is way off on this. But I don't understand why they wouldn't sit back, take their time, and let Donald Trump have the spotlight to himself. If he was a good candidate, that would great for him. But the more he has the focus on him, the more he's going to remind people what a shitty person he is, which is the chance Democrats have to beat the economic anxiety. Defining themselves with a flawed or polarizing new candidate (what they will gravitate toward because that is who these parties are) sooner than they need to feels like it would be a mistake to me.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There really isn't that much discontent and economic anxiety. Gas prices are down.

Prices at McDonald's are sky high but I got a couple $20s in my pocket. So what?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There aren't going to be any other names to be heard, because the names that aren't Tulsi Gabbard-level ridiculous are going to endorse Harris. Most already have.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Who?

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Stop questioning my terrible tactics of getting kicked off and leaving social media behind forever. I’m Dame Lillard. I can’t create a big enough stink to get the job done.

DanielSimpsonDay and HanSenSE like this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Some coffee machine repairman.

7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Newsflash -- every Democratic candidate will deal with economic anxiety as an issue because people are anxious about the economy and Trump has somehow gaslit a portion of the population to believe they were better off.

The economy isn't magically fixed with a different candidate. What can change is confidence levels in getting something done and advocating for the right moves. People didn't trust Biden's capacity to do that anymore because of his age. Harris removes that issue.

She's not the perfect candidate. The Dems don't need the perfect candidate. They need a coherent, consistent, aggressive message delivered by someone with energy and vibrance. Harris can do that.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Speaking of whom, the Dems need to dispatch some lower-middle level mudslingers to utterly demolish Tulsi -- and do it soon. Emphasize her ties to foreign authoritarians, her weirdo cult background and her willingness to kneel and slurp Fatfuck for a position (ANY position) in his ruling junta.

Splatter her with shit before the Fatfuck Fascist Machine rolls her out as "the brave maverick who took down Kamala in '20". She's not a brave maverick, she's a volunteer fuck toy for Fatfuck.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Also, this notion that Harris isn't likeable is standard politics.

Every candidate has issues. People don't like Newsom. People don't like Whitmer or Shapiro. People don't like Bernie.

Name the last significant candidate who was viewed as significantly likeable. Obama and Dubya had charisma, but were they universally liked?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't understand this "economic anxiety " that's apparently gripping the nation right now.

Fred siegle and Driftwood like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Biden and Harris are getting blamed by those discontented people. Someone from outside of the administration can try to run as something OTHER than the incumbent. They would distance themselves from Joe Biden without doing it overtly.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Who is this better candidate?

2muchcoffeeman and TowelWaver like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted