1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

TowelWaver likes this.
  2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I can give hundreds of reasons why people won't vote for Trump.

In a David Letterman Top 10 reasons why this country's "average" voter, especially male voter, will not vote for Harris.

1: She's a woman
    2: She's a Black woman
    3: She's not the Black woman (Hello Michelle Obama)
    4: Not voting for someone whose first name I can't pronounce.
    5: She's not popular and can't relate to her (i.e. wouldn't have a drink with her)
    6. Forced poor Joe out.
    7 through 10: See No. 1

Feel free to add your own.

This country has not changed as much as people think it has. Many voters are still pretty simple and don't look at issues like they should. For some it will be as simple as gender or skin color or both.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2024
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know. I didn't do the survey, and have no idea if they did one in 2020.

But people's financial situation has gotten way worse than 2015, 2020. Prices broadly are up more than 20 percent in the last 4 years just using CPI (which underestimates actual prices in the typical household's budget), while real wages have not come close to keeping up.

A lot of people are really struggling (and blaming politicians in power). Even the nonsensical jobs reports they are dropping the first Friday of every month show the household survey (what people are actually reporting) painting a much different picture than the establishment survey they rely on to make up their bullshit number. Even if you rely on the establishment survey, we have bled manufacturing jobs over the last few years and lost millions of full time jobs. ... while creating millions of part time and gig worker jobs. As an aside, this administration has taken the dishonesty to a new level, coming out after each non-farm payrolls number to talk about all the jobs THEY created. ... only to revise the numbers down (dramatically) a month later when it doesn't make a headline for them.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m not going to argue Joe Biden didn’t cause some inflation with government payouts. I’m going to argue we’d have had Hoovervilles and bread lines without them.

I and most Americans can handle three percent inflation for a few more years as a tradeoff. As for the mountain of debt at the core of that inflation long-term? That’s bi-partisan, squandered in the sands of Iraq and Afghanistan, on tax cuts to the rich, to bank bailouts, to ineffective and haphazard infusions and awful programs in 2008 and 2020 that didn’t get spent on infrastructure — something we all could’ve benefitted from and would’ve been universally applauded.

Manufacturing jobs? Now we’re worried about those after rooting on free trade and union busting for 40 years? Really? Get a time machine back to 1993 and stop NAFTA. We all participated in it. We cheered on cheap Chinese goods and we should all have to sit in the cheap shit we all bought at the expense of a middle class in this country. Instead the rich will pretend they had nothing to do with it and wonder why the underclass is losing its collective mind.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I went to a movie this afternoon. Anything in the news?

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Hopefully!

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think Harris will turn the base from dread to excited/hopeful. That’s hugely important. And the focus can be on how unfit trump is.

Moot now, but while I enjoy Aaron Sorkin’s work, the Romney thing was about the dumbest piece of shit I’ve read. JFC.

I admit I was too rough on Romney in 2012. Especially knowing what we know now. And I respect him for bucking the party and standing against trump.

But most of his positions are directly opposite of the Democratic Party. What and incredibly stupid piece.

I don’t know who will win. But it was always going to be close, no matter the Dem candidate. Now it’s a three-month sprint. And trump is still fucking awful. And beatable.

Get it done.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You're assuming he's not already been replaced by a Russian bot many years ago.

I may start a website now just so I can preemptively ban you from it.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Fortunately, not everybody is a libertarian edgelord.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hooverville Front Page.jpg

Hey Hoover dramatically lowered the cost of housing by refusing to inject the economy with Federal money.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

There are better places to get food.

Except breakfast. Mickey D's breakfast is to die for.

Draft saved Draft deleted