1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The internal polls clearly showed this was the way forward, and I trust those a hell of a lot more than external polls. Bypassing her creates a number of other problems and there's absolutely no need to do that.

The notion that Trump is an existential threat so the Democrats should nominate someone opposed to abortion rights and who opposes the Democrats on nearly every other issue is a straight Republican fantasy. It's foolish.

You think Kamala's primary performance is an indicator of how she'll do in November? Let me put it this way -- how do you think she would have done in the Democratic primary if the only other candidate is Donald Trump? Like I said upthread, you can nitpick her as a candidate against a field of other Democrats. She's a solid candidate facing a Republican.

Pre-debate? There were people who were unenthusiastic about voting for an 82 year old, and they'd be more likely to vote for Harris. But more to the point: before the debate, I was confident Biden would win. After the debate he couldn't.

And while you keep pretending this is some kind of blowout, consider this: while the networks were talking about the great Trump "surge" in the polls and how Trump had all the momentum the night of his speech... the poll they were showing had him up 3% on Biden. It was nothing.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

C'mon, Tay-Tay. Let it loose.

(She'll have to wait until she's back stateside from her world tour, lest she Dixie Chick herself. Her next U.S. date is Oct. 18.)

garrow likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding Starman-esque, if Harris pulls this off and Trump finally ages out of poisoning the national discourse, we need to push back hard against the gerontocracy. I’m fine with people running and serving into their 60s, because life experience is a good thing. Early 70s? Case by case basis but with the advances in medicine there are a lot of people who can still serve well. But nobody needs to be running for anything once they reach 75.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Thanks! Make sure you cast a vote, OK?

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Democratic turnout would crater and trump would be elected anyway in the scenario.

Between Romney and the convicted felon insurrectionist? Sure I’d take Romney. But it’s a pointless exercise.

The Dems seem to be quickly rallying around Harris much the way they rallied around Biden after the South Carolina primary, FWIW.

If nothing else, maybe the new story and trump’s continued doddering, incoherent awfulness will keep idiotic takes like Sorkin’s from seeing the light of day.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. I don't think so and I'm not convinced you (plural) believe it. I don't usually follow this thread but I'm sure there have been dozens of posts here where you all voiced your preference. Was it Harris?

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Manchin would lose worse than Biden would have. Scratch a millimeter into his actual policies and many Democrats would scream.

For every swing independent voter you’d gain, you’d lose two base voters to apathy or hopeless third parties. You’d lose a percentage of your women, minorities and green voters and you’d gain a few white suburban men.

TowelWaver likes this.
  8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

The Democrats just forced their octogenarian President off the ticket and your solution is to bypass the two-decade younger Vice President for a 77-year-old Republican?

Good luck with that.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Run someone like Manchin or Romney and Democrats risk losing touch entirely with a generation of voters who already think there’s little to no difference between Democrats and Republicans. The idea you could sub a literal Republican in and it’s all be just fine because he’s not Trump is insane.

10. SoloFlyer

If Joe Manchin challenges Harris, it's going to make Harris look that much better. Manchin is a Republican who cloaked himself in Democratic Blue.

Slacker, TowelWaver and garrow like this.
  11. SoloFlyer

Especially women and people of color. Replacing one old white man with another older, more conservative white man is a sure way to destroy the future of the Democratic Party and likely this country.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Good god, being pissed the Dems with a sitting VP and woman of color instead of a white guy who ran against them in 2012 has got to be one of the dumbest things posted here and we’ve had some dumb posted here. I should know. My posts are among the.

Romney the enemy of my enemy does not mean he’s my best friend. He’s a means to an end. When you have legitimate Democratic alternatives? Just stupid.

Would Whitmer stand a chance against Trump? Yeah she would. But you shit on every thing from the last four years to try. You hand Trump all of the cards. Dems hate what the last four years were, so they are giving up. And that’s not even accounting for the Black voters you’re shitting on by passing up the first Black woman to hold a VP position.

For the love of god, have your wank over getting your Biden wish and enjoy you got that much.

Draft saved Draft deleted