1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Also, I'd expect Trump and RFK Jr. to make a deal within a week for RFK Jr. to drop out.

He is now a much bigger danger for the GOP - even though he is the political equivalent of Eli from "There Will Be Blood".

2. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Kennedy said he hoped the DNC would come to him on its knees. Dude is delusional.

"I would certainly listen to the party elders if they came to me, I would discuss something with them," said Kennedy. "I'm the only presidential candidate who can beat Donald Trump, and if I were them, I would do that, and I would certainly listen to their proposals."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rfk-jr-says-two-man-race-after-biden-drops-presidential-bid

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The most cogent argument made against her in the 2020 primary was "Kamala is a cop." Which is to say that being a prosecutor put her in a position of culpability in a justice system that is predisposed if not intended to put black men away. Basically a 21st century Uncle Tom (Aunt Tomita?) And if your own 'house' hates you, what is your constituency?

The funny thing is, though that's exactly the sort of the thing that might play in a general election.

Further, Harris seems to project dignity but not excitement. That might be very hard for Trump to pin on her.

This is to say, maybe, just maybe, Kamala is a bad candidate in a Democratic primary and a very good one in a general election against that sonovabitch.

I'm still not 100% convinced this wasn't a "worked shoot," as our wrestling friends say. I generally believe conspiracies are bullshit, but the way this was dismantled over the course of the last two weeks was suspiciously orderly. I'm not sure I care, but none of this feels spontaneous.

This.

Seeing as I was the third person to make this joke today, and probably did it the least effectively, I denounce myself.

Aaron, though I don't know if you're being facetious here.

It matters inasmuch as Sorkin authored all of the good seasons of "The West Wing," which is basically a left-of-center fantasy in which the liberals are not only right but righteous and everyone puts country first. Considering that the show has probably inspired much of the 30-50-year-old rank and file in the Democratic Party, he has something of a cache as the author of their utopia. I mean, I have a "Bartlet for America" T-shirt, but that was bullshit.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fuck Bobby Jr. My bet is a parade of Kennedys march before the cameras in the next several days to enthusiastically endorse Kamala, led by Ambassador to Australia Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg.
    "My father and your father too would tell you you're full of shit. Quit embarrassing the family."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

LOL racist. U work for a lazy ass incoherent psycho

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

VP is going to be interesting. Of the names everyone’s talking about, there’s solid cases for all.

I think the Kentucky governor is a freak of nature to win there. And has to be doing something great to win the vote of so many who also have voted for trump twice. But I’m guessing it won’t be him.

Lots and lots of good reasons for Cooper. Including maybe putting NC in play.

Shapiro makes a lot of sense too. Maybe not quite experienced enough, but would be a big boost in Pennsylvania.

I’ve read some love for Buttigieg. Smartest guy in the room. Effective communicator. Doubles down on younger against trump.

Sort of an old fashioned deadline feel with this. Gotta get it done in a few weeks.

edit to add: D’oh! I’m a fan of Kelly and he’d be an excellent choice as well. And help in Arizona.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2024
    gingerbread likes this.
  7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I actually like Roy Cooper a lot. He's definitely up there. If he's not on the ticket, I think he'd have a damn good shot at a cabinet position.

But I really like Kelly. I think he brings a lot to the table on that ticket. He's moderate enough that no one will confuse him for being progressive, but he's progressive enough in the right areas. Then you add some amazing military service, his understanding of science and climate change. He has some chops on border security. I think he's the guy that can balance the ticket. As long as Arizona keeps running wackos like Kari Lake for major offices, the Arizona Senate will be safely in that 52% area.

Driftwood and gingerbread like this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Doesn’t that wacko lieutenant governor become governor if Cooper resigns to be a VP candidate?

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Regarding the Veepstakes Lightning Round:

I saw a tweet this afternoon that suggested that Harris' running mate will probably set new standards for Caucausianity, so to speak. I think even if she wanted it (and I don't think she does), two women won't fly, so no on Whitmer, and no on Newsom for Constitutional reasons.

Cooper is an unknown nationally and I forgot about his batshit Lt. Gov., though that could actually work against the GOP if he acts out and makes the brand less popular. He's probably the favorite but the rollout would have to be really quick and really effective.

Mark Kelly gives you military cred, which would be nice, though the fact that he flew the fucking Space Shuttle has given him sort of a flat affect. The fact that he is Gabby Giffords' husband and people will quickly remember that gives you a nice backstory that you can roll out quickly. However, as was mentioned, you're probably risking a Senate seat and god knows what kind of stupid-ass astronaut material Trump will trot out on the stump.

Shapiro is probably No. 3, only because he's a little green. This might be a couple years early for him.

Beshear is the son of a former governor. He's trading on a brand other than being a Democrat, which is not to say he's a DINO, but that he's not some sort of miracle worker making the left relevant in Owensboro and Wilmore.

gingerbread and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Sorry, I WILL say "Congratulations!":) Seriously.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

One other one that I've heard, though mostly only locally, is Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz. As a Minnesotan, I don't see it.

Walz is a very good retail politician, the kind of guy who shows up at a forest fire and says he brought some hoses in the back of his truck if you need a hand, but George Floyd was not a good look for him, and he is so avuncular as to not really play nationally. In fact, he's probably too nice a guy for all of this shit. He's basically if tying down furniture in a truck, slapping it and saying, "That's not going anywhere" were a political candidate.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

What would those be?

Draft saved Draft deleted