1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I don't care what he said. Didn't deserve getting thrown out before a game. Umpires are paid to take grief, it's part of the job. Unless he says they're outright cheating, he stays.

JC likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Weird how the injury bug avoids a team one season and bites the hell out of them the next. Baseball is truly the definition of "the best-laid plans" sometimes.

In 2023, all of their position players, with the exception of catchers d'Arnaud/Murphy, played at least 138 games each, with Acuna, Riley and Olson all getting 700-plus plate appearances. Just eleven hitters accounted for 94 percent of their PAs. And they got 162-plus innings/30-plus starts out of Strider, Elder and Morton. That's an incredible run of good fortune. And they still failed to get out of the NLDS.

Maybe they sneak in as a wild card this year and win it all.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That looked like a manager who was trying to get ejected. Maybe a "You can eject me now or eject me in the third inning, after I ride your ass a little bit longer. What'll it be?" kind of thing.
    Managers are weird like that sometimes.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I do not understand all the Skubal panic, nor do I think flipping him is something anyone is seriously considering unless the Orioles or Dodgers step up with an idiotic offer. As you said, he doesn't walk until 2026.

It would have been nice functionally for them to get back to .500 today but it sounds like other than the grand slam, they didn't have much for Gausman today in Toronto. They were playing with house money anyway.

All divisional games the next two weeks. It's a bad time for them to be suffering so many pitcher injuries, but I'd just like to see them at least flirt with the last wildcard. Then go into the market this winter and make a run in 2025 and 2026. Because the funny thing is I bet if they're competitive Ilitch will play ball with Boras if and when Skubal gets down to contract time. The thing about Mike I. was not that he wouldn't spend, it's that he wouldn't spend on a bad team. But you know that, I'm just saying that for the rest of the room.

Liut and maumann like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Skimming the Chronicle's gamer, he was still upset over a lot of calls over the first two games of the series. There were a lot of odd ones, for sure.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Must've called the guy a cocksucker.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That, in a nutshell, is the beauty of Jim Leyland.

HanSenSE, outofplace and maumann like this.
  8. maumann

I think it would take Jackson Holliday. And I don't know if the Orioles are willing to risk that much on a guy who has been All-World for only half of last year and the first half of this year.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know loads of guys who graduated from junior hockey and scattered to the minor pro ranks all over North America, into Europe and in at least one case Australia. Some did it because they had no idea what else to do, hockey was all they knew and they'd keep playing anywhere that was willing to pay them. Some figured a year or two in the ECHL or SPHL might be a fun way to scratch the pro hockey itch before heading to university and moving on to the real world.

Others who'd been drafted by NHL clubs and not offered a contract could often catch on in the AHL or in one of the better loops in Europe. I know one guy who stayed overseas, played for ages in Finland, another who was captain of the Vienna Capitals for years, banking awesome experiences along with a paycheck.

Batman and Liut like this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Out of Dodger Stadium.

11. maumann

I laughed at a Twitter post later: "Still not a home run at the Polo Grounds."

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree. If I remember correctly, the reporter laughed when he told the rest of us but acted as if he took it seriously when he spoke to management. He was unhappy about being pulled off the beat and I don't blame him. He got a better beat job at a bigger paper not long after that, so it worked out.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted