1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Fair point, but the VP selection is not one where he can blame advisors for leading him astray. I'll say one thing, if I were Trump, I wouldn't drink any Diet Cokes Vance handed me.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Somebody posted an obviously fake announcement of Jimmy Carter's death. It included alleged quotes from Carter about his wife being the "original Brat" and saying "throat goat Nancy Reagan" had nothing on her.

Various MAGA celebrities and elected officials obviously didn't read it and began sharing it. And that's how Jimmy Carter wound up trending on Twitter this morning.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

GM is not a bellwhether of the economy. Transportation and shipping stocks are, because of the direct insight they give into what is going on in broad commerce.

But try to create an argument about that. :rolleyes:

In the mean time, the snark was because I suggested on here that there has been a marked increase in the financial anxiety millions of people feel, which is why the incumbents are in trouble and they actually make Donald Trump -- who would otherwise be unelectable -- into a viable candidate (he's actually leading!).

@Inky_Wretch is cool as a fan,, so it's not personal the way some people get on this thread.

Yeah, GM has cut something like $2 billion in costs in a fairly short period of time, and it is making money (on weaker sales volumes!). ... so quick, let's post a story about their earnings report from this morning (without even understanding what the earnings suggest) to suggest what I said isn't right.

It has nothing to do with it. It's a financialized company, and actually, the price of the stock has been faling all day (down more than 7 percent). And it doesn't relate even an iota to the budget, costs and real income picture of the typical American household, and what has happened to that picture over the last 3, 4 years.

But again, even if you wanted to tell me about where the country is economically (the post was telling me about Bidenomics, like he waves a magic wand that makes people buy and sell goods and services). ... UPS, an actual bellwhether stock, reported at the same exact time. It wasn't pretty.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Let me just make one thing clear here, 99.999% of what I post on here is never, ever personal. But I do like poking the bear every so often. :D

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I missed the Downfall memes (the rest of the movie is pretty good too).

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

See also 80 percent of the House Caucus convinced Biden was behind the Trump shooting.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

As someone who deals with UPS (and FedEx) every working day, I assure you their operations are shit.

2muchcoffeeman and sgreenwell like this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I could argue that economic anxiety is a permanent thing now that we no longer have defined benefit pensions but continue to have rising healthcare and housing costs.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Megyn Kelly is still relevant?

garrow likes this.
  10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

A zero and clears $8 million per year.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Compare and contrast.

upload_2024-7-23_9-39-54.png

12. HanSenSE